We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

Almost heaven
Pitt Hater
Losing to Temple in the early season was the hallmark of the season. Temple finished the season with a lousy record and we lost to them. What does that say? Championship game we lose when (win) it is on the line.

B12 Kansas game we lost.

B12 Tourney game we lost to Oklahoma State

Sweet 16 game we lost to Gonzaga!

Just saying these all or none game we are 0-4 for the year.

Our leaders have some contemplation to do cause 0-4 for the year is heartbreaking. It was a great year with lots of good Press Virginia press but the truth be told as a fan.

Every single do or die situation for a banner, trophy etc we choked. No plan to take control of and hold any must win game. Oops we did beat Kansas at our house! That was a good win but so many opportunities this season came up short. I guess that is statistics but I am crushed upon reflecting on our talent and the results. Very happy with the overall season just would like to have won one of those important games.

Baylor win with Kansas to have the 1,2 punch wins was nice and the guys knew they could do it so what about the motivation for the other games.

This team is solid and some of the changes during the dance were noticeable. Why was Adrian still out after the 5 minute mark? What happened to Adrian's shooting? Why no timeouts remaining at the end?

Expectations should be increasing with this season and next should demand better as they were more than capable of winning a few extra games. Aces for next year Bob!

Posted on: 3/24 10:51 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Almost heaven
Makin' it Rain
From Fairmont
Quote:

talkoption wrote:
Losing to Temple in the early season was the hallmark of the season. Temple finished the season with a lousy record and we lost to them. What does that say? Championship game we lose when (win) it is on the line.

B12 Kansas game we lost.

Our leaders have some contemplation to do cause 0-4 for the year is heartbreaking. It was a great year with lots of good Press Virginia press but the truth be told as a fan.

Every single do or die situation for a banner, trophy etc we choked. No plan to take control of and hold any must win game. Oops we did beat Kansas at our house! That was a good win but so many opportunities this season came up short. I guess that is statistics but I am crushed upon reflecting on our talent and the results. Very happy with the overall season just would like to have won one of those important games.

Baylor win with Kansas to have the 1,2 punch wins was nice and the guys knew they could do it so what about the motivation for the other games.

This team is solid and some of the changes during the dance were noticeable. Why was Adrian still out after the 5 minute mark? What happened to Adrian's shooting? Why no timeouts remaining at the end?

Expectations should be increasing with this season and next should demand better as they were more than capable of winning a few extra games. Aces for next year Bob!

If your going to bitch and question at least get the games we lost correct

Posted on: 3/24 1:04 pm

Pitt Hater
From Frederick, MD
Huggs said Adrian has an elbow injury that effected his shooting.

BTW we will raise a banner, a Sweet 16 banner!

Posted on: 3/24 1:21 pm

Obama: We will put a man in your daughter's restroom.

Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV
Notre Dame and Bucknell were all or nothing and they won. Just saying.

Posted on: 3/24 2:54 pm

I-79 Alumni

Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV
Notre Dame and Bucknell were all or nothing and they won. Just saying.

Posted on: 3/24 2:54 pm

I-79 Alumni

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

talkoption wrote:

B12 Kansas game we lost.

I don't like him but I tend to agree with him. It was a good year, but we came up woefully short every time we had a chance to win a trophy. I too question why Nate was out there at the end...if he was injured he was a liability. No matter how much people love him, he is addition by subtraction next year. He isn't like losing rushel shell...losing him means the coach can no longer utilize him which actually makes us better. I'm not going to bury him, he plays his ass off, but we need to to better. I think this team will win something big next year, by my goodness the path was so easy to the national title this year

Posted on: 3/24 3:27 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Sorry he IS like losing rushel shell

Posted on: 3/24 3:28 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Let's not talk about Nate anymore and replacing him. He gave us 4 tough hard working dedicated years wearing the Old Gold and Blue.

Posted on: 3/25 11:29 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Madison, AL
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Let's not talk about Nate anymore and replacing him. He gave us 4 tough hard working dedicated years wearing the Old Gold and Blue.

Posted on: 3/25 11:46 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia
I'm a big Nate Adrian fan. I loved the way he competed for the Old Gold and Blue and the tremendous effort he gave. He was a terrific four-year guy, and I look forward to one day seeing him on the sideline coaching at the college level.

Posted on: 3/26 6:39 am

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
I've been around long enough to come to the realization that unless you win the whole championship in any sport, you finish with a loss and have come to actually understand that simple concept--maybe because I remember the really lean years of being a Mountaineer fan.

There are opportunities along the way for accolades, trophies, medals, whatever, but generally, you finish your season or tournament with a loss. That is hard on fans, but much much harder on the players.

This year, we finish second in the season and in the conference tournament and make it to the Sweet 16 to lose to a 1 loss Gonzaga team in an instant classic. Most programs would give an arm or a leg for that type of season in a conference like the B12. Still this doesn't seem to be enough for many of our fans. Let's look at the other "big time" finishes in the B12 this year.

Iowa State finished 4th in the conference, won the conf tournament and did not make the round of 16. A very good season with a nice accomplishment in the conf tourney.

Baylor got 3d, got bounced in the conf tourney and made the Sweet 16, only to get embarrassed.

Kansas won the season, fared worse than us in the conf tourney and were beaten by 14 in the Elite 8.

All four teams should be proud of their seasons. They each had outstanding ones. KState, TT, OSU, OU, UT and TCU would all gladly trade places as would 300 plus other programs.

If the players, themselves, want to be hard on themselves for some missed shot in a close game or a few bad minutes in a loss, that is understandable, but for anyone on this site or any other site or any other fan to have criticism of this team or this season, does not make sense to me.

You are entitled to your opnion, it is a free country and this is a message board after all, but I just don't understand it beyond the first few hours after being upset with a loss, because this was a great season. These young men have busted their asses and given what they had. They won 28 games and have been a top ten team all year. I love this team, as stressful as they are to watch at times, I can be nothing but appreciative and thankful that I got to enjoy this season--I watched every game and loved the excitement and anticipation of the next game all season long. Just being anxious, as a fan, to watch the next game is an amazing feeling. That is a minor gift. That, in and of itself, should be savored for the special thing that it actually is.

This team could beat any team on any given night, which is what I want out of any Mountaineer team in any sport. If you have put together a team that others dread playing and can and will test and beat you, what more is there? What more can we ask? There will be better teams and worse teams in the years to come, but this team had heart and guts and balls and whatever else. This was a great Mountaineer team that we should be glad we got to watch and enjoy. We should thank these kids for giving us something to be proud of, not complain about their imperfections. These young men made me even more proud to wear my flying WV and made me more proud to be from this state. They carried the banner as well as anyone could have asked them to, so stop bitching and give them a standing ovation, instead. They deserve it!

As an aside, for you folks that think we should have coasted into a NC this year, Gonzaga destroyed Xavier. Destroyed them. I have to disagree with the poster that said we had an easy path to the national championship, that animal does not exist. Anyone playing Gonzaga, does not have an easy path to anything. That team is very very good and had there not been a 5 plus minute review of a great hustle play by Nate Adrian, giving those 10 foot tall monsters a much needed rest, maybe that game turns out differently. Maybe. Maybe not. Championships and wins and losses can be just that close. That is why we love the sport. We were ever so close. But as a fan, I'll take the heartbreak every time just to watch my beloved Mountaineers keep striving and fighting snd grinding and trying.

Posted on: 3/26 9:12 am

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV

Posted on: 3/26 9:48 am

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Suspected Punter
From Charleston, WV
Found Nate's doppelganger. Check out Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees from the 70's.

Posted on: 3/26 10:07 am

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV

Posted on: 3/26 11:05 am

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Pitt Hater
From Athens GA
Charles Barkley loved Nate and said after Carter he was the most important player on the team.

Posted on: 3/26 11:51 am

Pitt Hater
From St. Louis, MO
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
I've been around long enough to come to the realization that unless you win the whole championship in any sport, you finish with a loss and have come to actually understand that simple concept--maybe because I remember the really lean years of being a Mountaineer fan.

There are opportunities along the way for accolades, trophies, medals, whatever, but generally, you finish your season or tournament with a loss. That is hard on fans, but much much harder on the players.

This year, we finish second in the season and in the conference tournament and make it to the Sweet 16 to lose to a 1 loss Gonzaga team in an instant classic. Most programs would give an arm or a leg for that type of season in a conference like the B12. Still this doesn't seem to be enough for many of our fans. Let's look at the other "big time" finishes in the B12 this year.

Iowa State finished 4th in the conference, won the conf tournament and did not make the round of 16. A very good season with a nice accomplishment in the conf tourney.

Baylor got 3d, got bounced in the conf tourney and made the Sweet 16, only to get embarrassed.

Kansas won the season, fared worse than us in the conf tourney and were beaten by 14 in the Elite 8.

All four teams should be proud of their seasons. They each had outstanding ones. KState, TT, OSU, OU, UT and TCU would all gladly trade places as would 300 plus other programs.

If the players, themselves, want to be hard on themselves for some missed shot in a close game or a few bad minutes in a loss, that is understandable, but for anyone on this site or any other site or any other fan to have criticism of this team or this season, does not make sense to me.

You are entitled to your opnion, it is a free country and this is a message board after all, but I just don't understand it beyond the first few hours after being upset with a loss, because this was a great season. These young men have busted their asses and given what they had. They won 28 games and have been a top ten team all year. I love this team, as stressful as they are to watch at times, I can be nothing but appreciative and thankful that I got to enjoy this season--I watched every game and loved the excitement and anticipation of the next game all season long. Just being anxious, as a fan, to watch the next game is an amazing feeling. That is a minor gift. That, in and of itself, should be savored for the special thing that it actually is.

This team could beat any team on any given night, which is what I want out of any Mountaineer team in any sport. If you have put together a team that others dread playing and can and will test and beat you, what more is there? What more can we ask? There will be better teams and worse teams in the years to come, but this team had heart and guts and balls and whatever else. This was a great Mountaineer team that we should be glad we got to watch and enjoy. We should thank these kids for giving us something to be proud of, not complain about their imperfections. These young men made me even more proud to wear my flying WV and made me more proud to be from this state. They carried the banner as well as anyone could have asked them to, so stop bitching and give them a standing ovation, instead. They deserve it!

As an aside, for you folks that think we should have coasted into a NC this year, Gonzaga destroyed Xavier. Destroyed them. I have to disagree with the poster that said we had an easy path to the national championship, that animal does not exist. Anyone playing Gonzaga, does not have an easy path to anything. That team is very very good and had there not been a 5 plus minute review of a great hustle play by Nate Adrian, giving those 10 foot tall monsters a much needed rest, maybe that game turns out differently. Maybe. Maybe not. Championships and wins and losses can be just that close. That is why we love the sport. We were ever so close. But as a fan, I'll take the heartbreak every time just to watch my beloved Mountaineers keep striving and fighting snd grinding and trying.

^^^ THIS!

You are so right, every team ends with a loss except the National Champion and being the National Champion generally, more than not, means you will not be the National Champion the next season. Im proud of the team and always will be.

Jerks like Talkoption can continue to complain about every game and every play. Im not buying into their BS.

Posted on: 3/26 5:08 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

UncleFestus wrote:
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:

^^^ THIS!

You are so right, every team ends with a loss except the National Champion and being the National Champion generally, more than not, means you will not be the National Champion the next season. Im proud of the team and always will be.

Jerks like Talkoption can continue to complain about every game and every play. Im not buying into their BS.

I agree with just about everything you said, but I don't think anyone said "Coasted to a national title". What I have said and others have said is that next years team on paper appears to be excellent, and the future very bright, but our road to a Natty this year while not easy was just about as easy as possible. An overmatched Bucknell team, ND on one day rest, a very good but very beatable Gonzaga, an 11 Xavier, South Carolina...I'm sorry that's as easy a path to the title game as it gets. That's why this one hurts so much worse than last year, and pretty much every elimination I've experienced as a WVU fan other than 13-9. I firmly believe if Dax hit 2 FT's or we shot 29% instead of 26% we would've won it all and will always believe that. By no means am I bashing Dax or anyone and give full credit for a fun and awesome season, but this one hurts more than any of the others

Posted on: 3/26 7:30 pm

Pitt Hater
From columbia,sc
Quote:

I wish this article would not have referred to Jevon Carter as a kid. He s NOT a kid. He is a man, a leader, and a great asset to any program that he would have joined. Thankfully, we have been blessed to have him. Kudos to his parents for having raised this well-adjusted young man. Hopefully, if he wishes, he will find a place in the NBA. Otherwise, after next year, I wish him all the success that he deserves, whatever he does. Heck, with his great leadership, maybe he will coach! But for now, I am so glad that we have him as a player and a leader for another year.

Posted on: 3/26 8:50 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Robertsdale,Al via parkersburg
"ALMOST" should be trade marked by WVU .

Posted on: 3/26 9:50 pm

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved