We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards


 
8 team playoff system
Grant Ave. Warrior
Joined:
3/14/2009 2:07 pm
From RT. 50
Posts: 793
while the current system is ok I'd much rather see an 8 team playoff. I would take the champions of the power 5 conferences and three at large teams. What does everyone else think?

Posted on: 4/23 7:33 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: 8 team playoff system
Here for the Beer
Joined:
1/10/2008 10:15 pm
From Charlottesville, VA, born and raised in Charleston, WV
Posts: 447
That is exactly what I have been saying for years. I'd love to see this put into effect.

Posted on: 4/23 8:05 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: 8 team playoff system
Grant Ave. Warrior
Joined:
8/13/2009 2:23 pm
From spencer
Posts: 1128
5 p5 champs, 1 top ranked g5 champ, 2 highest rank remaining. Round one chistmas saturday. Tound two new years day, champ next saturday.

Posted on: 4/23 8:27 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: 8 team playoff system
Grant Ave. Warrior
Joined:
11/30/2013 3:05 pm
Posts: 801
Hmm I kind of like that format viper, makes sense, gives a fair shot to everyone, it'll just be how the committee ranking teams that has the potential to screw it all up.

Posted on: 4/23 9:58 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: 8 team playoff system
Pitt Hater
Joined:
6/18/2010 9:15 am
From SW FL
Posts: 1701
works for me

Posted on: 4/24 4:36 am
_________________
student at WVU in the 70s
staff at WVU in the 80s
I frikin bleed Gold n Blue
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: 8 team playoff system
Makin' it Rain
Joined:
7/10/2008 9:44 am
From new york, new york
Posts: 4111
I actually think they may be forced to go to 8, since Group of 5 starting to talk about having 4 team playoff. If you went to 8 and guaranteed group of 5 one spot then talk of seperate playoff would stop.

Posted on: 4/24 7:41 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: 8 team playoff system
Pitt Hater
Joined:
12/31/2007 12:04 am
From Burlington, KY via Webster Springs, WV
Posts: 1951
I like the 12 confernce champions getting in. Then the next higher 4 teams. Then go back to 11 games. Add the extra week of playoffs.

Posted on: 4/24 10:56 am
_________________

Just win baby

WVUGRAD92 < all couch members
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: 8 team playoff system
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
7/29/2008 4:48 pm
From Deadwood, Lakota Territory
Posts: 8212
Quote:

wvugrad92 wrote:
I like the 12 confernce champions getting in. Then the next higher 4 teams. Then go back to 11 games. Add the extra week of playoffs.


Yea ... this is the system that I always thought was best.

When TCU and Baylor tied ... BOTH of them would have gotten in. And one of then probably would have WON the whole damn thing.

Posted on: 4/24 11:52 am
_________________
Liberal, Progressive, Socialist, Globalist Fascists in BOTH parties are trying to take over the U.S.A.

Help us Eric Cartman, YOU are our only hope.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: 8 team playoff system
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 668

Eight teams could possibly happen, if you had the first round on campus and maybe allowed the losers to play in later bowls. Absent a total shift of how things work, sixteen will never happen.

Unless the NCAA starts paying players, expecting any more than a 15 game max season at the FBS level would probably hit a PR wall. One thing to do that at the lower levels, but expecting kids to go through a 15 game FBS beating is a bit much, especially the kids with possible NFL futures. That limitation sort of warps the financial benefits of a playoff.

If you go to a 16 team playoff you have to cut two weeks out of the regular season. That eliminates something like 130 games, or maybe 65 games and all the conference championships, in exchange for twelve first and second round games. Yes, there will be a ton more interest in those games, but the sheer numbers make the idea that this will increase revenue unclear. Especially once you add in that this will cause TV revenue for the bowls, if they continue to exist at all, to drop in a serious way.

Also, if those eight first round games are to be played in one weekend, there is a serious oversaturation issue, so those aren't as valuable as one might assume. Plus, something like #1 Alabama against #16 seeded Coastal Carolina qualifying out of the Sun Belt isn't going to pull much of a national TV rating, especially ten years down the road when the novelty wears off.

Posted on: 4/25 12:03 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: 8 team playoff system
Grant Ave. Warrior
Joined:
3/14/2009 2:07 pm
From RT. 50
Posts: 793
8 teams is reasonable and gives you the top teams. I'd love 16 but that's never happening. I get sick of the bs argument its too many games. FCS, dII, and Diii along with the nfl all do it.

Posted on: 4/28 11:07 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: 8 team playoff system
Grant Ave. Warrior
Joined:
12/1/2010 8:07 pm
From in your head...
Posts: 1190
I feel like, by opening this thread, I just turned on an ESPN afternoon show...


Posted on: 4/28 12:32 pm
_________________
i don't associate with haters, cause that's how motherf**kin gangstas be...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: 8 team playoff system
Grant Ave. Warrior
Joined:
3/14/2009 2:07 pm
From RT. 50
Posts: 793
Well ESPN is usually clueless we're intelligent here

Posted on: 4/28 11:14 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: 8 team playoff system
Grant Ave. Warrior
Joined:
3/14/2009 2:07 pm
From RT. 50
Posts: 793
Well ESPN is usually clueless we're intelligent here

Posted on: 4/28 11:15 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: 8 team playoff system
Pitt Hater
Joined:
5/30/2007 5:14 pm
From Columbus, OH (via Belpre, OH)
Posts: 1464
Quote:

Elbow_Jobertski wrote:

Eight teams could possibly happen, if you had the first round on campus and maybe allowed the losers to play in later bowls. Absent a total shift of how things work, sixteen will never happen.

Unless the NCAA starts paying players, expecting any more than a 15 game max season at the FBS level would probably hit a PR wall. One thing to do that at the lower levels, but expecting kids to go through a 15 game FBS beating is a bit much, especially the kids with possible NFL futures. That limitation sort of warps the financial benefits of a playoff.

If you go to a 16 team playoff you have to cut two weeks out of the regular season. That eliminates something like 130 games, or maybe 65 games and all the conference championships, in exchange for twelve first and second round games. Yes, there will be a ton more interest in those games, but the sheer numbers make the idea that this will increase revenue unclear. Especially once you add in that this will cause TV revenue for the bowls, if they continue to exist at all, to drop in a serious way.

Also, if those eight first round games are to be played in one weekend, there is a serious oversaturation issue, so those aren't as valuable as one might assume. Plus, something like #1 Alabama against #16 seeded Coastal Carolina qualifying out of the Sun Belt isn't going to pull much of a national TV rating, especially ten years down the road when the novelty wears off.


I totally agree with you. FCS, DII, and D3 have a perfect system: 10 regular season games (with only 2-3 of those as OOC) followed by a 16 team playoff. Even high schools get this part right. Schools are already scheduling out as for as 2024 and beyond so there's no way we're going backwards as far as the number of games scheduled. The point you make about paying players is right on. Treating the football players as professionals has far-reaching consequences beyond football that could potentially cost schools millions and millions of dollars. I heard on the radio yesterday that the Big XII made $350 million last year while the SEC made over $500 million. As long as the money keeps rolling in they're not going to want to upset the apple cart.
It seems like every time this subject comes up on this site I'm asking myself the same question and making the same point: Why do WVU fans want a 16-team playoff? The BigXII schedule is already a grind. What chance would we have of beating 4 top ranked teams in succession? Our best chance of a national title was with the BCS system where we could've beaten anybody in a 1-off with 6 weeks to prepare and get starters healthy. You could also make the argument that a 16 team playoff doesn't designate the best team but rather the team that has the best luck with injuries and/or most depth. That will never be WVU

Posted on: 4/29 10:23 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: 8 team playoff system
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 668
I thought the best system was back when the national championship was more or less mythical unless the bowl system happened to put the two clearly best teams in a game. Sure, some silly people had a vote and declared a national champion, or maybe two or three, and schools would claim victory and the world continued to spin on its axis while we all spent the off-season and maybe a few decades arguing about it. Which was fun.

Just as some of the greatest stories (books, movies, tv series, etc) end without a clear resolution, speculating about what would happen if Clemson were to play Alabama or Washington or whoever can be far more satisfying and stimulating than actually making it happen.

Not knowing makes the whole thing way, way more interesting. It upsets those who are threatened by the idea of ambiguity, which all in all is sort of a positive. Life is full of this sort of thing.

Posted on: 5/4 8:46 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: 8 team playoff system
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
7/29/2008 4:48 pm
From Deadwood, Lakota Territory
Posts: 8212
And what IF they would have thrown a penalty flag for the pick play Clemson ran on the winning TD???

Talk about controversy.

Posted on: 5/4 8:57 am
_________________
Liberal, Progressive, Socialist, Globalist Fascists in BOTH parties are trying to take over the U.S.A.

Help us Eric Cartman, YOU are our only hope.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: 8 team playoff system
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
7/8/2008 8:36 pm
From Around
Posts: 7334
Quote:

sg44gold wrote:
And what IF they would have thrown a penalty flag for the pick play Clemson ran on the winning TD???

Talk about controversy.


Seriously. The Clemson quarterback literally said in a post game interview "we called for a pick play and we needed the receiver to deliver a great pick and he did"

I mean wtf they literally admit they run and called for an illegal play lol

Posted on: 5/4 12:51 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 







Login
Username:

Password:

remember me





Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved