We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 »

Cord Cutters
Suspected Punter
We dropped cable months ago, saved me about$150 per month. Now I only have good wifi and use my family's passwords to get channels (via Roku).
I have an HD antenna and it works ok, but I can't get ABC. I've had luck with sports there cause they come in through the ESPN app. I'm praying Fox network will come over the Fox sports app.
Has anyone spent an entire football season on Internet only? Any lessons to share?

Posted on: 7/14 9:03 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Cord Cutters
Pitt Hater
From Rockville, MD
This is the reason in Montgomery Counry, MD that I don't cut the cord.

Posted on: 7/14 9:13 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Here
I cut the cord in Feb and saved over $100 per month. I'm in the EP and ABC (WJLA) was just added to the FireTV box (DirecTV Now) about 10 days ago. I get NBC and FOX but no CBS, though I can get the CBS app and pay for it and CBSSPORTS.

Through DirecTV Now I also get FS1, FS2, NBCSPORTS, and most of the ESPN channels; TBS and TNT too.

Posted on: 7/15 8:13 am

Scientists discover, understand and inform.

Environmentalists preach.

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Ecuador, 2 Degrees South
So I don't live in the US, but I use the internet via a Gbox (android device) for watching Mountaineer games, Caps, Nats,... I also get old movies, new releases, US TV, foreign TV, etc... It isn't quite as convenient as cable, but it does have so much more content available. Also, because I am in a rural area, the internet speed isn't great-so HD is difficult. If you get a device, set up Kodi and an App called "Sports Devil". I also watch MMA/UFC fights for free (Rousey, McGregor), and I will be getting Mayweather/McGregor free as well. it saves huge dollars IMO.

Posted on: 7/15 4:10 pm

Pitt Hater
From columbia,sc
I am weaning myself gradually away from Dish. My ROKU now has ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, TBS, ect, ect through the XTV and Pluto TV apps.
But I have as yet to find good sports coverage. I am hopeful. There is a computer store close to my house that the guy there keeps trying to get me to buy a device that he claims will get me everything I want. I just might try it out.

Posted on: 7/17 1:49 am

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
I live in central VA less than 4 miles from I-95 and approximately 10 miles from Fredericksburg. My only options for TV OR INTERNET are satellite or cellular.

No fiber optic, no cable...I can't even get DSL.

Posted on: 7/17 8:13 am

Pitt Hater
From NEW JERSEY
I have DirecTV but have been looking to drop this for a while. Root sports is a must for me (WVU games). I'll check out Roku

How is the sound/picture quality through the internet and through devices like Roku? Do you get 5.1 dolby sound, and HD quality video?

Posted on: 7/17 10:06 am

From Charlottesville, Virginia
Quote:

wvuphanatic wrote:
I have DirecTV but have been looking to drop this for a while. Root sports is a must for me (WVU games). I'll check out Roku

How is the sound/picture quality through the internet and through devices like Roku? Do you get 5.1 dolby sound, and HD quality video?

FYI - Root Sports is changing its name to AT & T Sportsnet this month.

Posted on: 7/17 10:50 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Ecuador, 2 Degrees South
I can vouch for a second world country and say that picture quality is not HD, but it gets better every year here. In the US, I would imagine the picture quality is pretty close to HD. 5.1 is def available if the broadcast is in 5.1, you merely arrange your KODI advanced system setting to show 5 (or 7) channels, enable pass-through and select Dolby or DTS if your AVR has Dolby or DTS.

Posted on: 7/17 11:02 am

Makin' it Rain
From Here
Quote:

wvuphanatic wrote:

I'm streaming through a FireTV box and DSL (frontier version, if that's what you call it). I'm getting 1080P routinely and have not tried 4K; I seriously doubt my DSL could support it (supposed to be downloading at a speed of at least 70% of 24 mbps but routinely only download around 12 mbps). I haven't worried about the sound since I run everything through an Onkyo receiver, via HDMI connection from the FireTV box, to Polk speakers and it sounds good enough to me.

Posted on: 7/17 5:54 pm

Scientists discover, understand and inform.

Environmentalists preach.

Suspected Punter
The picture quality and sound I get is excellent, but it could depend on your Roku version, you need the latest version to ensure the full Dolby experience.

My connection is about 22 mps, and the live sports on FoxSports app and ESPN come is fine. The problem now is the ROOT (now At&T sportsnet) doesnt have an app, and who knows if they will. The HD antenna is really high quality too, but ABC doenst work for me (usually sports events on ABC are on the ESPN app, however).

Posted on: 7/24 7:44 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV
where I live the best internet you can get is 1 meg and it's expensive, $60 a month, I don't have internet and have direct tv. I wish I had good internet options so I could cut. When we had internet the kid would be on youtube and you'd be lucky to check facebook. I just switch back and forth between dish and DTV keeping my bill under 70 a month.

Posted on: 7/25 1:00 pm

I-79 Alumni

Suspected Punter
Cool site that shows the best streaming options by team (NCAA and NFL)

https://wherecaniwatchmy.team/#/compare/ncaaf/3069

Posted on: 8/8 9:18 am

Pitt Hater
From columbia,sc
Quote:

emperorchaz wrote:
Cool site that shows the best streaming options by team (NCAA and NFL)

https://wherecaniwatchmy.team/#/compare/ncaaf/3069

Unfortunately, the link does not seem to be working

Posted on: 8/12 1:54 pm

Pitt Hater
From SW FL
wherecaniwatchmy.team
just gets a blank page

Posted on: 8/12 3:20 pm

From Charlottesville, Virginia
I get the page using Safari as my browser.

Posted on: 8/12 3:31 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From A town called Fresh Off A Cop's Ass
works with firefox

Posted on: 8/13 7:53 am

Suspected Punter
From Parsons, WV
You should check out Stream Smart, it seriously have everything on it. I know it sounds as illegal as heck, but they sell them at walmart, amazon, etc. If you buy them from those sources they are not warranted though so I would go from the company. One of my buddies got me one, it works great, you can search for just about any tv show, watch live TV, stream every NCAA game, it even had the WVU Delaware State game.

We just cancelled our Sling TV and are going solely with this option, if anyone is interested drop me a PM and I'll give you his contact information. Do your due diligence and read up on them, but I am loving it so far and we've only had it a week.

Posted on: 9/28 8:58 am

Pitt Hater
From columbia,sc
I looked it up and I saw several different versions of the stream smart device. Which version would you recommend?

Posted on: 9/28 11:14 am

Suspected Punter
From Parsons, WV
I picked up the pro, it is the middle of the line one, it can do everything I want it to do.

Posted on: 9/28 1:10 pm

(1) 2 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved