We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 (2)

 
Re: Class of 2019 QBs - Logan Holgrosen
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
5/28/2008 9:04 pm
From Robertsdale,Al via parkersburg
Posts: 6928
Quote:

Strohs wrote:
I mean, the list of teams who have offered him is pretty good considering he just wrapped up his sophomore season playing ball in WV. Can anybody remember the last time a QB from the state made waves at a D1 program? Don't underestimate the kid. The fact that his dad is a coach at this level means that Logan will know what he has to do to prepare himself.

Who was that kid from Wv, recruited by Nehlen,let go by RR and he went to Maryland and tore our asses up for two seasons ?

Posted on: 8/7 5:38 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Class of 2019 QBs - Logan Holgrosen

Joined:
4/9/2008 12:11 pm
From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
Posts: 14445
Quote:

wvsouth1 wrote:
Quote:

Strohs wrote:
I mean, the list of teams who have offered him is pretty good considering he just wrapped up his sophomore season playing ball in WV. Can anybody remember the last time a QB from the state made waves at a D1 program? Don't underestimate the kid. The fact that his dad is a coach at this level means that Logan will know what he has to do to prepare himself.

Who was that kid from Wv, recruited by Nehlen,let go by RR and he went to Maryland and tore our asses up for two seasons ?


Scott McBrien

Posted on: 8/7 5:56 pm
_________________
We couldn't beat a freshman VT QB.....sad
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Class of 2019 QBs - Logan Holgrosen
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
6/7/2011 4:56 pm
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia
Posts: 6501
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:
Quote:

wvsouth1 wrote:
Quote:

Strohs wrote:
I mean, the list of teams who have offered him is pretty good considering he just wrapped up his sophomore season playing ball in WV. Can anybody remember the last time a QB from the state made waves at a D1 program? Don't underestimate the kid. The fact that his dad is a coach at this level means that Logan will know what he has to do to prepare himself.

Who was that kid from Wv, recruited by Nehlen,let go by RR and he went to Maryland and tore our asses up for two seasons ?


F@#*ing Scott "Benedict Arnold" McBrien


FIFY

Posted on: 8/8 8:05 am
_________________
Here's the deal. I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Class of 2019 QBs - Logan Holgrosen
Pitt Hater
Joined:
5/30/2007 5:14 pm
From Columbus, OH (via Belpre, OH)
Posts: 1460
McBrien was from Maryland not WV. He played at Dematha

Posted on: 8/8 8:13 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Class of 2019 QBs - Logan Holgrosen
Makin' it Rain
Joined:
1/13/2008 9:55 pm
From Fairmont
Posts: 2969
Quote:

brobison wrote:
Quote:

1642 wrote:
Genetics play a lot into the sports programs at the highest level.

In the same post you say Johnnie West wasn't that good?
πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€


Yes. That is what I am saying. I don't see any contradiction there.

Are you saying that Jonnie was a good player? If so, why did he only average 8+ minutes his senior year?

As to genetics......you realize that just because Jerry West is your dad doesn't mean you are a clone of him. There is another set of genes in that set.....and it isn't a guarantee that Jerry West would pass on all of his good genes. That is how that works.

At the same time look at the percentage of offspring of a college athlete ends up ALSO being a college athlete. Then look at the percentage of high school nerds that produce college athletes. I think genetics bare that out.


Ok so your saying that Logan can't play D I because his Dad did not.

And than you say just because West was good doesn't me his son was good.

Here is a few:

I agree that' if a kid comes from a family of players he or she should be a decent player. But that isn't because of genetics it is what they are exposed to.

Larry Bird's brother was a bust in college.

MJ 's was the same in college.

Bill Walton's father and mother encouraged him to read never passed a ball with him in his life.

Was Bobby Hurley a great player because of his genes or how he grew up around BBall with his Dad.

Magic's Dad worked on a trash truck and General Motors, Mom stayed home.

Bird's Mom the same......his Dad worked construction.

I say a player is a product of his environment and what he is exposed to.

AND WHAT THEY DO WITH IT.

Interesting thread.





I

Posted on: 8/8 3:24 pm
_________________
"The old proofreader"
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Class of 2019 QBs - Logan Holgrosen
Makin' it Rain
Joined:
8/2/2010 10:50 am
From Canonsburg, PA
Posts: 4702
Quote:

1642 wrote:
Quote:

brobison wrote:
Quote:

1642 wrote:
Genetics play a lot into the sports programs at the highest level.

In the same post you say Johnnie West wasn't that good?
πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€


Yes. That is what I am saying. I don't see any contradiction there.

Are you saying that Jonnie was a good player? If so, why did he only average 8+ minutes his senior year?

As to genetics......you realize that just because Jerry West is your dad doesn't mean you are a clone of him. There is another set of genes in that set.....and it isn't a guarantee that Jerry West would pass on all of his good genes. That is how that works.

At the same time look at the percentage of offspring of a college athlete ends up ALSO being a college athlete. Then look at the percentage of high school nerds that produce college athletes. I think genetics bare that out.


Ok so your saying that Logan can't play D I because his Dad did not.

And than you say just because West was good doesn't me his son was good.

Here is a few:

I agree that' if a kid comes from a family of players he or she should be a decent player. But that isn't because of genetics it is what they are exposed to.

Larry Bird's brother was a bust in college.

MJ 's was the same in college.

Bill Walton's father and mother encouraged him to read never passed a ball with him in his life.

Was Bobby Hurley a great player because of his genes or how he grew up around BBall with his Dad.

Magic's Dad worked on a trash truck and General Motors, Mom stayed home.

Bird's Mom the same......his Dad worked construction.

I say a player is a product of his environment and what he is exposed to.

AND WHAT THEY DO WITH IT.

Interesting thread.





I


I didn't say Logan COULDN'T do it. I said it was unlikely.

How many 5'9" players do you see in college athletics with the exception maybe of baseball? I say this because 5' 9" are the average height of a man in the US. Height is COMPLETELY out of the control of the individual. You can practice all you want and....as they say...."You can't coach tall."

If it was ONLY desire and work ethic we should see players heights match the height of the average individuals 5'9". There is no match whatsoever. We chided Skyler Howard for being too short at 6'1"!!!!!!

Looking at the 33 players from the WVU baseball team there are 2.....count them 2....players that are 5'9" and there are NONE below that. So EVEN the WVU baseball team does not remotely resemble the genetic makeup of the population at large.

The football team has 8 player 5'9" or less out of 123 players. SO if Daddy and Mommy doesn't make you taller than the average person you have a climb up a hill that you most likely won't overcome.

Here is an ESPN article about doing genetic screening to let people know whether to waste their time trying to play sports or not. Not that I condone it but if you REALLY want to know about the next level ie D1, World Class, Professional before screaming at the kid make sure he has the genetic tools to succeed.

http://www.espn.com/espnmag/story?id=3776377

Here is another one:

http://www.allprodad.com/5-things-to- ... pass-on-to-your-children/

Key point:

Quote:
Our genetics do have some influence over our talents and abilities. Genetic tendency for high hand-eye-coordination and heightened perception for rhythm and pitch have all been proven. But if the DNA to be a natural musician or athlete is there, and the action is never taught or harnessed, these genetic abilities are virtually useless.


How many 5'9" boys do you think Larry Bird will produce as offspring. You only need to look at college athletics to see that you can work all you want but the fact is that genetics determine athleticism. For God's sake Bill Walton was 6' 11" tall. Did his desire to play basketball make him taller?!

As I said before, when you look at any undertaking in which genetics is important there can be stellar genetic outcomes and there can be poor ones. In judging animals you can have blue ribbon animals from fairly average parents but not many. At the same time you can have runts from great genetic parents. It isn't a given.....yet.

I have officiated basketball long enough to be able to see an athlete within about 15 seconds of watching him move. Then look at the parents. The probability that one of those parents HAD the genetic makeup to be an athlete is very high. Not too long ago I officiated a 7th and 8th grade came at a local school. Between games I saw this guy in the stands that I thought I should know. Couldn't figure it out. After the second game I was talking to the visiting coach and he said that the person was Chris Hoke (Former Steeler DT). He said his kid played on the team. I said "He is #52." . Chris Hoke asked me how I knew since there were only numbers in the book. I said because out of 60 kids that played in the two games only 1 kid belongs on a basketball floor. He was the tallest and best coordinated.

Just because Magic Johnson's dad wasn't an athlete doesn't mean he didn't have the genetic makeup to be one. It could mean that he didn't have the desire or the access to be one.

At the same time, I agree that desire determines success but you HAVE to have the basic essentials like height or genetic development in order to be a world class or division 1 athlete. For every Doug Flutie I can show you a ton of people that have just as much desire and the same amount of work ethic that just won't make it.

Posted on: 8/8 4:24 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Class of 2019 QBs - Logan Holgrosen

Joined:
12/7/2009 7:07 pm
From Charlottesville, Virginia
Posts: 12634
No way Howard is 6'1".

Posted on: 8/8 5:16 pm
_________________
Open in new window
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Class of 2019 QBs - Logan Holgrosen
Makin' it Rain
Joined:
7/10/2008 9:44 am
From new york, new york
Posts: 3907
Skyler Howard is listed at 5"11 on NFL draft board, but I'd say in reality he is prob. 5"10 and change.

Posted on: 8/8 7:40 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Class of 2019 QBs - Logan Holgrosen
Makin' it Rain
Joined:
1/13/2008 9:55 pm
From Fairmont
Posts: 2969
Genetics is the luck of the draw. That is it. Your parents can have the best set of genes in the world but that doesn't mean their child will genetically be the same .

Explain how a set of parents can have a top notch student and have another that struggles to read.

One set has a "straight" child and then produce a " gay" one.

It is the luck of the draw. Plan and simple.

I agree that genetics is an important part but that doesn't mean you will get the same genes necessary to produce

The article by ESPN proves after the fact......I am saying u are not guaranteed what u will get because of your parents.

Besides I can't argue with a guy that can spot talent in 15 secondsπŸ‘

Posted on: 8/8 7:55 pm
_________________
"The old proofreader"
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Class of 2019 QBs - Logan Holgrosen
Suspected Punter
Joined:
7/29/2013 8:22 am
Posts: 162
Some kids just choose the non reading lifestyle. They should pray the illiteracy away. Others get recruited by non-readers.

Posted on: 8/9 12:27 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Class of 2019 QBs - Logan Holgrosen
Grant Ave. Warrior
Joined:
12/1/2010 8:07 pm
From in your head...
Posts: 1188
In all honesty, do you guys really worry about what qb may or may not get a scholarship offer two years from now?

The 2017 season has begun...Mount Up!

Posted on: 8/10 6:32 am
_________________
i don't associate with haters, cause that's how motherf**kin gangstas be...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: He's baaaack
WMITC
Joined:
1/6/2008 1:03 pm
From Here
Posts: 23234
MetroNews:

Morgantown High’s football team is regaining a major offensive weapon with the return of Logan Holgorsen.

WAJR-AM confirmed the junior quarterback has re-enrolled and is eligible to play immediately.

In July, the son of West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen announced he was transferring to St. Frances Academy in Baltimore. He returned to Morgantown after opening the season behind three-star recruit Jalon Jones, who has committed to Mississippi State and holds offers from Alabama, UCLA and Virginia Tech.

Posted on: 9/16 12:01 am
_________________
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half the people are even stupider than that." -- George Carlin
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Class of 2019 QBs - Logan Holgrosen
Pitt Hater
Joined:
7/21/2008 9:57 pm
From North Central, WV
Posts: 1923
He probably realized that Maryland is a sucky place to be during deer season.

Posted on: 9/16 2:00 am
_________________
LET'S GO---------------------------------MOUNTAINEERS---------------
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Class of 2019 QBs - Logan Holgrosen
WMITC
Joined:
8/28/2006 11:40 am
From Parkersburg, WV
Posts: 8515
Quote:

EERY wrote:
He probably realized that Maryland is a sucky place to be during deer season.


And wabbit season and duck season and all the seasons.

Posted on: 9/16 10:01 am
_________________
Same as it ever was.
Open in new window

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 



« 1 (2)




Login
Username:

Password:

remember me





Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved