We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

Disney pulling movies from Netflix to start their own streaming services (and espn).
Pitt Hater
From Eastern WV
Disney to pull movies from Netflix, start own streaming services

Quote:
Disney (DIS) wants to own a bigger piece of the streaming pie.

The company announced during its latest earnings report Tuesday that it intends to pull all of its movies from Netflix.

Instead, Disney plans to launch a branded direct-to-consumer streaming service in 2019.

The company will also launch its own ESPN video streaming service in early 2018. The platform, which will feature about 10,000 sporting events each year, will have content from the MLB, NHL, MLS, collegiate sports and tennis' Grand Slam events.

To power the services, Disney buying a majority ownership of BAM Tech for $1.58 billion. Disney bought a 33 percent stake in the company, which was spun off from digital media company MLB Advanced Media, in August 2016.

"This represents a big strategic shift for the company," CEO Bob Iger told CNBC's Julia Boorstin. "We felt that having control of a platform we've been very impressed with after buying 33 percent of it a year ago would give us control of our destiny."

Netflix stock dropped more than 5 percent upon announcement of the news (click here to see the latest share price).

And so it begins...

ESPN a la carte sounds ok but everything "Disney" is pricey. I wonder if Fox Sports will follow? Many of us could also use a Root Sports streaming service.

I guess the Netflix movie selection will continue to dwindle. I've been thinking about getting rid of it for months after they lost a ton of content last year when they didn't renew their Epix agreement.

What say you couchers?

Posted on: 8/8 7:50 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Disney pulling movies from Netflix to start their own streaming services (and espn).
Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
This is the future.

I think this happening sooner rather than later is better for WVU. It will suck for us fans but I think you will see that you will purchase packages and pay to see each game. When this happens, I think, it will be another upheaval in College athletics. Maybe the final upheaval. In the future it won't matter what school has what media market. It will matter how many eyeballs (and their associated wallets) are actually watching the games. When that happens some schools will become more or less desirable. I think WVU will fair far better under this framework. WVU fans fill stadiums and watch on TV.

I hope, in the end, that it will result in much more coverage. I would LOVE to have a WVU channel that would allow me to purchase access to non-revenue generating sports like soccer and baseball and rifle and others. I think it would really help these other programs if that were the case.

EDIT: Also.....it is no longer Root Sports. It is now ATT&T Sportsnet as of July 14 I think (My Pirate watching friends on here can help with the date). It was the first Pirate game after the All Star break.

Posted on: 8/9 10:33 am

Re: Disney pulling movies from Netflix to start their own streaming services (and espn).
Pitt Hater
From Eastern WV
You're correct. Root is now AT&T SportsNet.

I think WVU would do what's best for its future. I'm not so sure about the Big12 or Texas.

I wonder if adding more teams would be better if the Big12 would get their own streaming network or had their games streamed on other networks (fox, at&t, etc.)? I wonder if that was even a consideration back when they were considering expansion?

Posted on: 8/9 11:18 am

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved