We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 9 »

 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
7/8/2008 8:36 pm
From Around
Posts: 8275
Young people usually vote democrat from the ages of 18-22. Then when they gain life experience and wisdom they vote republican. Then they vote again for democrat after they die.

Posted on: 4/12 8:36 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Suspected Punter
Joined:
11/24/2013 8:22 pm
Posts: 70
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Young people usually vote democrat from the ages of 18-22. Then when they gain life experience and wisdom they vote republican. Then they vote again for democrat after they die.



Haha so true! I was a dem until 23 and then got smarter. Blue team won’t get my vote again till I die.

Posted on: 4/12 8:47 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
12/9/2009 10:45 am
From durham, nc
Posts: 5224
Quote:
"People embrace political conservatism (at least in part) because it serves to reduce fear, anxiety, and uncertainty; to avoid change, disruption, and ambiguity; and to explain, order, and justify inequality among groups and individuals," it said.

There's evidence that this fear plays out in how conservative and liberal brains are shaped, too. Researchers have taken brain images of people with different political leanings and found that those who self-identify as conservative have larger and more active right amygdalas, an area of the brain associated with the expression and processing of fear.


Link

I post this knowing that for conservatives a scientific study is no match for a slogan they belive in.

The link also states that the is a proven way to make liberals think more conservatively: scare them.

Conservatives aren’t more mature or wise...just more afraid.

Posted on: 4/12 5:03 pm
_________________
Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

I don't stand by anything. ~Donald J. Trump
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Makin' it Rain
Joined:
7/21/2008 9:57 pm
From North Central, WV
Posts: 2961
Quote:

eer_4da_beer wrote:
Quote:
"People embrace political conservatism (at least in part) because it serves to reduce fear, anxiety, and uncertainty; to avoid change, disruption, and ambiguity; and to explain, order, and justify inequality among groups and individuals," it said.

There's evidence that this fear plays out in how conservative and liberal brains are shaped, too. Researchers have taken brain images of people with different political leanings and found that those who self-identify as conservative have larger and more active right amygdalas, an area of the brain associated with the expression and processing of fear.


Link

I post this knowing that for conservatives a scientific study is no match for a slogan they belive in.

The link also states that the is a proven way to make liberals think more conservatively: scare them.

Conservatives aren’t more mature or wise...just more afraid.


I’d argue that some fear is good. It can be what keeps you alive, and what makes you take matters into your own hands, which leads to taking more responsibility for your own actions. Funny how conservatives would have more of a desire to have the freedom to protect themselves, while liberals desire to create a society and a system that requires them to really on others for security. All the while they would be creating more scenarios of victim hood.

Posted on: 4/12 5:43 pm
_________________
LET'S GO---------------------------------MOUNTAINEERS---------------
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Makin' it Rain
Joined:
7/21/2008 9:57 pm
From North Central, WV
Posts: 2961
Unfortunate it takes a dose of reality for a lot of liberals to realize that healthy fear. The natural reaction to grow from such an occurrence is to grow into a more conservative mindset of taking matters into you own hands. The ones that don’t, usually are doomed to suffer a similar occurrence down the road. Conservatives desire to have limited government, and to be more responsible for ourselves. We realize that when we give up that ability to a governing entity, that we no longer have the ability to freely change our circumstances. Some might call it being afraid. My parents called it using the common sense the good Lord gave you.

Posted on: 4/12 6:33 pm
_________________
LET'S GO---------------------------------MOUNTAINEERS---------------
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Makin' it Rain
Joined:
7/21/2008 9:57 pm
From North Central, WV
Posts: 2961
As far as that being afraid of change in social issues garbage, in that case I believe they are mistaking fear for morality and values.

Posted on: 4/12 6:34 pm
_________________
LET'S GO---------------------------------MOUNTAINEERS---------------
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
12/9/2009 10:45 am
From durham, nc
Posts: 5224
Quote:

EERY wrote:

I’d argue that some fear is good. It can be what keeps you alive, and what makes you take matters into your own hands, which leads to taking more responsibility for your own actions. Funny how conservatives would have more of a desire to have the freedom to protect themselves, while liberals desire to create a society and a system that requires them to really on others for security. All the while they would be creating more scenarios of victim hood.


If a person is living in a hut in Somalia then absolutely...fear will keep you alive.

I have no problem with the freedom to protect ourselves. Nobody is taking my guns...and I will certainly vote to keep them from taking yours too.

Conservatives bristle when liberals call them racists. Not all conservatives are racists, but the majority of racists are conservative.

Your assertion that liberals “desire” the society you describe above is as accurate as me calling you racist because you’re conservative. I know that you are not. Therefore I won’t lump you in with the fringe element on your side. But conservatives have no problem lumping all liberals in with the fringe element gun grabbers and social mooches. It might fire up the base but it’s not based in reality.

...and you too rely on others for security. You’re personal arsenal is not going to protect you if a government armed force (foreign or domestic) is coming at you.

Posted on: 4/12 8:17 pm
_________________
Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

I don't stand by anything. ~Donald J. Trump
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
12/9/2009 10:45 am
From durham, nc
Posts: 5224
Quote:

EERY wrote:
Unfortunate it takes a dose of reality for a lot of liberals to realize that healthy fear. The natural reaction to grow from such an occurrence is to grow into a more conservative mindset of taking matters into you own hands. The ones that don’t, usually are doomed to suffer a similar occurrence down the road. Conservatives desire to have limited government, and to be more responsible for ourselves. We realize that when we give up that ability to a governing entity, that we no longer have the ability to freely change our circumstances. Some might call it being afraid. My parents called it using the common sense the good Lord gave you.


What occurrence are you talking about? What happened to you that justifies fear? Honestly not trying to troll you here...but I don’t get the point.

Conservatives for limited government? I disagree. Certainly they are for limited social safety nets...but they love big government when it comes to military spending, drug laws, limiting gay rights, gambling, abortion, complicated tax laws with corporate loopholes...they even like spending money on infrastructure when a Republican is president. The small government political argument is all talk.

The only true limited government issue I see as being true on the right is when we start talking gun regulation.

Posted on: 4/12 8:30 pm
_________________
Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

I don't stand by anything. ~Donald J. Trump
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
12/9/2009 10:45 am
From durham, nc
Posts: 5224
Quote:

EERY wrote:
As far as that being afraid of change in social issues garbage, in that case I believe they are mistaking fear for morality and values.


Why is it the government’s role to legislate morality? If you are not hurting anyone else then those laws are a perfect example of big government.

We don’t live in a theocracy. What you do in the confines of your own home is none of my business...and certainly not a concern for the government.

Posted on: 4/12 8:37 pm
_________________
Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

I don't stand by anything. ~Donald J. Trump
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
7/20/2008 1:23 pm
From Just barely outside the Beltway.
Posts: 7656
It's fun watching these conservative self-masturbatory posts...Hoping they don't sprain a wrist!

Posted on: 4/13 12:05 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Grant Ave. Warrior
Joined:
10/27/2006 2:33 pm
From LA
Posts: 1077

It honestly doesn't matter if you're liberal or conservative these days. We're all losing.

We haven't had any purely Conservative or liberal legislation since money took over our politics.

As long as the playing field is equal for everyone either pure approach would be better than what we currently have which is a pay for play system.

I'll support whoever is working for the people and not corporations. I'm not sure there's many politicians out there that fit that description on either side of the isle.

Posted on: 4/13 11:56 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Makin' it Rain
Joined:
7/21/2008 9:57 pm
From North Central, WV
Posts: 2961
Quote:
Why is it the government’s role to legislate morality? If you are not hurting anyone else then those laws are a perfect example of big government.


You are putting words in my mouth, or at least assuming I said something that I didn’t. All that I was saying was that Liberals a lot of times accuse conservatives of being afraid of change, when there is actually a system of values that are having an effect on their political stance. Please explain to me how those laws are an example of big government. What agencies have been formed out of such conservative based social ideology? How many dollars come out of the tax payers pockets to fund those laws?


Quote:
We don’t live in a theocracy. What you do in the confines of your own home is none of my business...and certainly not a concern for the government.


That would be fine with me, but please explain to me why my 8th grade stepson is being picked on almost daily for being a follower of Jesus by the “LGBT community” in his school. On top of that, his very liberal teacher just had them observe an LGBT week in their classroom. Heaven forbid a teacher get caught praying with a student though.

This is the society the left has created for our children. How is that any less restrictive or oppressive than the theocracy you are suggesting that conservatives are trying to impose? In what ways is this a better path forward to the future for our civilization? What level of sexual promiscuity is too much? What level of sexual perversion is too vulgar? To what degree are people on the left allowed to push it into the face people of faith’s children before it has gone too far? Why is an unborn child’s inability to speak for itself less important than the right to choose of someone who has chosen to act irresponsibly?

We have went far past the confines of your own home on these subjects. Today it’s all loud, proud, and in your face. Someone else’s bedroom is none of my business, but my children are 100% my business.


Posted on: 4/13 4:19 pm
_________________
LET'S GO---------------------------------MOUNTAINEERS---------------
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Makin' it Rain
Joined:
7/21/2008 9:57 pm
From North Central, WV
Posts: 2961
One of the most ludicrous things I ever hear that comes out of a liberal’s mouth, is to tell someone that has a religious faith, that they should leave their value system at home when they head to the voting booth. That’s not what the separation of church and state was supposed to be about. What, so as long as you don’t go to church, or have a religious belief, your values are fine to bring to the voting booth? What the heck kind of sense does that make? Do you people actually listen to yourselves? (Not saying that everyone on this site is this way. The previous sentence was more in an obscure direction, and not intended to be pointed directly at anyone who has posted in this thread.)

I encourage everyone to vote according to their values, even if I don’t agree with them.

Posted on: 4/13 4:45 pm
_________________
LET'S GO---------------------------------MOUNTAINEERS---------------
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
12/9/2009 10:45 am
From durham, nc
Posts: 5224
Quote:

EERY wrote:

All that I was saying was that Liberals a lot of times accuse conservatives of being afraid of change, when there is actually a system of values that are having an effect on their political stance. Please explain to me how those laws are an example of big government. What agencies have been formed out of such conservative based social ideology? How many dollars come out of the tax payers pockets to fund those laws?


You’re correct as far as I know about agencies. As for laws, how many conservatives have rallied the base with the promise of a constitutional amendment on marriage? I consider that cause to be religion-driven but could be wrong.

Quote:

Quote:
We don’t live in a theocracy. What you do in the confines of your own home is none of my business...and certainly not a concern for the government.


That would be fine with me, but please explain to me why my 8th grade stepson is being picked on almost daily for being a follower of Jesus by the “LGBT community” in his school. On top of that, his very liberal teacher just had them observe an LGBT week in their classroom. Heaven forbid a teacher get caught praying with a student though.

This is the society the left has created for our children. How is that any less restrictive or oppressive than the theocracy you are suggesting that conservatives are trying to impose? In what ways is this a better path forward to the future for our civilization? What level of sexual promiscuity is too much? What level of sexual perversion is too vulgar? To what degree are people on the left allowed to push it into the face people of faith’s children before it has gone too far? Why is an unborn child’s inability to speak for itself less important than the right to choose of someone who has chosen to act irresponsibly?

We have went far past the confines of your own home on these subjects. Today it’s all loud, proud, and in your face. Someone else’s bedroom is none of my business, but my children are 100% my business.



Regardless of who is bullying your stepson the issue is the bullying but you’ve latched onto the characteristics of the group as what needs to be stopped.

I’ll raise mine and you raise yours has always been my belief about parenting. It’s not society’s responsibility to create a safe thought/belief bubble for my kids.

Since you shared, so will I. In fifth grade my son was bullied. I told him there are two ways to handle it: go to the school staff and officially address it or square up and deal with it. I promised him that I would support his choice. He chose the latter. Took two fights and one parents meeting with the principal but there has been no bullying since and he’s in 9th grade.

Kudos to you for being a good stepdad. I was raised in that situation. He’s lucky to have you around regardless of your politics.

Posted on: 4/14 11:01 am
_________________
Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

I don't stand by anything. ~Donald J. Trump
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Makin' it Rain
Joined:
7/21/2008 9:57 pm
From North Central, WV
Posts: 2961
Thanks. And my stepson has handled it quite well. I am proud of him. His is like his mother. Nobody is going to tell them what to think.

Posted on: 4/15 2:57 pm
_________________
LET'S GO---------------------------------MOUNTAINEERS---------------
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
12/9/2009 10:45 am
From durham, nc
Posts: 5224
Quote:

EERY wrote:
Thanks. And my stepson has handled it quite well. I am proud of him. His is like his mother. Nobody is going to tell them what to think.


Ha! I married one of those as well....good for you and him.

Her mantra...

Open in new window

Posted on: 4/15 5:09 pm
_________________
Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

I don't stand by anything. ~Donald J. Trump
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
7/8/2008 8:36 pm
From Around
Posts: 8275
Quote:

eer_4da_beer wrote:
Quote:
"People embrace political conservatism (at least in part) because it serves to reduce fear, anxiety, and uncertainty; to avoid change, disruption, and ambiguity; and to explain, order, and justify inequality among groups and individuals," it said.

There's evidence that this fear plays out in how conservative and liberal brains are shaped, too. Researchers have taken brain images of people with different political leanings and found that those who self-identify as conservative have larger and more active right amygdalas, an area of the brain associated with the expression and processing of fear.


Link

I post this knowing that for conservatives a scientific study is no match for a slogan they belive in.

The link also states that the is a proven way to make liberals think more conservatively: scare them.

Conservatives aren’t more mature or wise...just more afraid.


Republicans didnt make up climate change and global warming to scare the masses into maming their wallets bigger. Think before you type man.

Posted on: 4/16 10:23 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
7/8/2008 8:36 pm
From Around
Posts: 8275
Liberals will never understand that they are mind-controlled by the media. In less than a year they have been brainwashed into threatening the first two amendments and client attorney privilege. But the same tech and media companies tell them they are activists battling fascists and racists.

Posted on: 4/16 11:13 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap

Joined:
12/7/2009 7:07 pm
From Charlottesville, Virginia
Posts: 12958
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Liberals will never understand that they are mind-controlled by the media. In less than a year they have been brainwashed into threatening the first two amendments and client attorney privilege. But the same tech and media companies tell them they are activists battling fascists and racists.


Let's take a look at "mind control." All of the statements you make above are derived from right wing media. Every one of them. So let's look at their veracity.

1. Threatening the first two amendments: This statement is based on a misunderstanding of the scope of the Amendments. For example, most of the country (i.e. not just liberals) wants certain restrictions that have been found by courts to be outside the scope of the 2nd Amendment. Thus, these regulations do not "threaten" the 2nd Amendment. The NRA, however, has been pushing propaganda and misinformation literally making the same erroneous statement you made. The change isn't being pushed by liberals; it is being sought by the right wing toward expanding the scope of the 2nd Amendment.

2. Threatening the "client attorney privilege." The attorney-client privilege is not under attack. There is a very long history of case opinions that set forth the scope of the privilege, and these were argued to a court. The privilege has never protected criminal or fraudulent acts by an attorney, which is the issue in Cohen's case. I am an attorney, and I don't see any reason to change my practices with regard to protecting my communications with clients based on this ruling, and that is because it doesn't change the law. It has always been the law. Moreover, the protections in place in the Cohen case, such as having a private review team review documents for privilege prior to the investigators review, serve to protect the privilege while also allowing the investigation of crimes. So, there is no threat to the privilege. The change is being sought by the right wing, who are seeking to change the law to create institutional protections for criminals. That is a threat.

So, neither of the statements is true, and they were originally made by right wing media and then parroted by you.

Posted on: 4/17 9:13 am
_________________
Open in new window
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: The Wisdom Gap
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
12/9/2009 10:45 am
From durham, nc
Posts: 5224
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Quote:

eer_4da_beer wrote:
Quote:
"People embrace political conservatism (at least in part) because it serves to reduce fear, anxiety, and uncertainty; to avoid change, disruption, and ambiguity; and to explain, order, and justify inequality among groups and individuals," it said.

There's evidence that this fear plays out in how conservative and liberal brains are shaped, too. Researchers have taken brain images of people with different political leanings and found that those who self-identify as conservative have larger and more active right amygdalas, an area of the brain associated with the expression and processing of fear.


Link

I post this knowing that for conservatives a scientific study is no match for a slogan they belive in.

The link also states that the is a proven way to make liberals think more conservatively: scare them.

Conservatives aren’t more mature or wise...just more afraid.


Republicans didnt make up climate change and global warming to scare the masses into maming their wallets bigger. Think before you type man.


Sorry...it’s not “made up”. It’s science.

As for Republicans...they made up the fiction that tax cuts for the rich will solve all of our problems. That costs society more than climate change dollars. Please post a link supporting your “facts” if you disagree.


Posted on: 4/19 8:07 pm
_________________
Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

I don't stand by anything. ~Donald J. Trump
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 



« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 9 »




Login
Username:

Password:

remember me





Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved