We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 (2)

Re: NCAA corruption. No real surprises.
Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:
I'll really be surprised if none of this ties into college football.

I think the dynamics of football are different. Just to give you an example.....

Arguments against it tying into football....

If you take the top 100 athletes at basketball, from probably 5 to 100 there is little difference but the top 3 or 4 each year are critical to get. Furthermore, getting a single player in basketball builds 20% of your total team whereas in today's football getting an individual player gives you about 4.5% of your team. The individual player just makes less of a difference in football.

Furthermore, 100 of the best players in the country can outfit 20 basketball teams but only less than 5 football teams. So teams have to look away from the better players to build the "good enough" players.

There is a built-in help for the Power 5 football conferences. The fact is that all of the big players will most likely come to them. Akron U. has no realistic shot of ever being in the playoffs so athletes looking to make a name for themselves have to go to one of 15 or 20 schools who consistently produce championships and NFL players.

Nick Saban can walk into a house and he doesn't have to offer the kid any money. Do you want to win? I win? You want to play in the NFL? I send kids to the NFL. You want to be here? Good. No? See you later.

There are fewer long lived stars in football that are worth steering to agents and shoe deals. I can't think of an NFL player that has a clothing deal off the top of my head. Football is just not conducive to picking a kid for a long term investment and that is what the clothing manufacturers and agents are looking for.

The key thing in this case is AAU sports and how that figures into the mix. Football really doesn't have the same thing. As a basketball official I officiate A LOT of AAU.I used to officiate a lot more. I could do a lot more if all I wanted to do was officiate but I am older and my knees need an off-season and I have other familial obligations. These kids in AAU are like a profession all on its own. They go all over the country and play every weekend in the off season. I don't see that in football.

Big Argument For it tying into football....

The stories hitting the wires now are about how shocked coaches are in the business. While they may have known that these things were violations of NCAA rules they are shocked that they are federal offenses. If the basketball coaches are that clueless then the football coaches are just as in the dark.

There could be some cases where an up and coming coach wants to do this or that Saban, Miles and others did this at some level but I have not really heard of it in the college football recruiting process and I have known a few football recruits.

EDIT: Oh and above while a single football player makes up only 4.5% of the team he most likely won't be able to play all of the time no matter what. Star basketball players often play almost all 40 minutes.

Posted on: 9/29 2:03 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Pitt Hater
From Charleston, WV
Maybe we'll finally see real change in the NCAA. I'd love to see the NCAA go away and college athletes treated like any other college student.

Posted on: 9/29 6:41 pm
Forget what you learned in elementary school. The only ”participation trophy” you’re awarded from life is death. That’s the one thing we all get just for showing up. In the meantime, if you want something better, you have to earn it. - Matt Walsh

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Springfield

Great preseason interview with Hugs talking a bunch about the corruption. I really believe he runs a clean program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc1pNumFHAo

Posted on: 9/29 8:15 pm

« 1 (2)

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved