We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Rest of the season outlook
Grant Ave. Warrior
From Ecuador, 2 Degrees South
We are watching the same team. I personally don't think we played nearly as well as VT, and viewed them as a superior team to us. I think we could have easily lost by two TD's or more. Yeah, if every call went our way and we force and recover 3 more turnovers in both those games, then we would be the worst unbeaten team in Div I. Shoulda, coulda, woulda-we are a top 50 team, nothing more, nothing less. We will continue to improve, but who doesn't? I just don't see the spark and the unwillingness to lose right now. It just shows in our body language (coaches and players).

Posted on: 10/10 2:34 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
It's tough to generate points when you have to drive 85+ yards every time to score when your opponent starts from around the 40. And What are you talking about unwillingness to lose? Against tech Grier did everything he could on that final drive and it came died to a dropped touchdown pass. Against TCU we were down two scores in the 2nd half and tied it and it again came down to the final drive. We were marching and they call offense pass interference and made it first and 25. With like a minute left. Our receivers were so gassed they could barely get back to the line of scrimmage.

Posted on: 10/10 2:44 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
It's tough to generate points when you have to drive 85+ yards every time to score when your opponent starts from around the 40. And What are you talking about unwillingness to lose? Against tech Grier did everything he could on that final drive and it came died to a dropped touchdown pass. Against TCU we were down two scores in the 2nd half and tied it and it again came down to the final drive. We were marching and they call offense pass interference and made it first and 25. With like a minute left. Our receivers were so gassed they could barely get back to the line of scrimmage.

I agree...4 wins? 5 wins? Have you seen KSU? They suck. Maybe VT did outplay us...that stats would indicate otherwise. We dominated TCU. Go back and watch the punting. What VT and TCU punters did was amazing...most NFL teams don’t punt nearly that well. Kudos to them that’s part of the game but if there is even “good” punting in those games with 4 pints inside the 5 insects of all 8 we win. It’s truly the difference between where we are now and being 5th or 6th. I’m super critical of our special teams and especially our kickers but that wasn’t our fault, that was historic. This team will be fine...the offense is excellent and the defense was much improved against a really good offense on the road. 8-4, still possible for 9 wins

Posted on: 10/10 3:04 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Quote:

WVUswim wrote:
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:

I agree...4 wins? 5 wins? Have you seen KSU? They suck. Maybe VT did outplay us...that stats would indicate otherwise. We dominated TCU. Go back and watch the punting. What VT and TCU punters did was amazing...most NFL teams don’t punt nearly that well. Kudos to them that’s part of the game but if there is even “good” punting in those games with 4 pints inside the 5 insects of all 8 we win. It’s truly the difference between where we are now and being 5th or 6th. I’m super critical of our special teams and especially our kickers but that wasn’t our fault, that was historic. This team will be fine...the offense is excellent and the defense was much improved against a really good offense on the road. 8-4, still possible for 9 wins

You make a point of saying what a difficult time it is to start your drives inside the 5 and then you guys get pissed off you weren't given an interception on the 1. There is no difference offensively from starting on your 1 from an interception or your 3 from a punt.

I am glad we didn't get the interception. I wish he had enough forethought to either go into the endzone for a touchback or just bat the ball down.

After that......you have to make a stop.

If you get the ball on the 1 it is possible that they score a safety AND a touchdown.

Posted on: 10/10 3:12 pm

Pitt Hater
From columbia,sc
Quote:

brobison wrote:
Quote:

WVUswim wrote:
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:

You make a point of saying what a difficult time it is to start your drives inside the 5 and then you guys get pissed off you weren't given an interception on the 1. There is no difference offensively from starting on your 1 from an interception or your 3 from a punt.

I am glad we didn't get the interception. I wish he had enough forethought to either go into the endzone for a touchback or just bat the ball down.

If you get the ball on the 1 it is possible that they score a safety AND a touchdown.

Except for the fact that TCU went on to score a TD on that drive. Had we been credited with the INT, that would have killed the TCU drive for the time being.

Posted on: 10/10 3:37 pm

Pitt Hater
From Athens GA
We should beat Tech, Iowa St., K. State, and Baylor.

Could possibly beat either OK team. Could also lose to any of them. I can't wait to see what happens.

Posted on: 10/10 3:46 pm

Pitt Hater
From North Central, WV
There is a lot of talent on this team. Unfortunately we haven't got it all together right now. I think we are going to be too good to not finish with winning record. This team feels like it is lacking some leadership and intensity at times. I think we are going to end up 7-5 or 8-4, unless we se a serious change in some things on this team.

Posted on: 10/10 4:09 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Quote:

brobison wrote:
Quote:

WVUswim wrote:
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:

My man, they scored the go ahead touchdown with less than 5 minutes left on that drive. We intercepted that pass, and they gave it back to TCU despite video evidence proving otherwise. It's impossible to tell what could have happened after that had they honored the interception We had. We could have ripped off a 99 yard touchdown pass, they could have gotten a safety, we could have went 3 and out and punted and then stopped them and go in to overtime. It's just impossible to tell how changing one play will result in the outcome of a game. And dude, batting the ball down resulted in the exact same play. It was ruled an incomplete pass lol. What the hell are you trying to talk about??

Posted on: 10/10 4:57 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Quote:

brobison wrote:
Quote:

WVUswim wrote:
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:

My man, they scored the go ahead touchdown with less than 5 minutes left on that drive. We intercepted that pass, and they gave it back to TCU despite video evidence proving otherwise. It's impossible to tell what could have happened after that had they honored the interception We had. We could have ripped off a 99 yard touchdown pass, they could have gotten a safety, we could have went 3 and out and punted and then stopped them and go in to overtime. It's just impossible to tell how changing one play will result in the outcome of a game. And dude, batting the ball down resulted in the exact same play. It was ruled an incomplete pass lol. What the hell are you trying to talk about??

Ya it’s good in theory to say to bat it down and not get pinned at the one and make a stop, but with that punter we would’ve been at the 3 anyway at best. You make the play on the field and the rest happens. The biggest issue on this team is special teams. The defense looks a lot better. Also would like to see Crawford really rip one. They could win every game on the schedule...they could only win 2 more as well but that isn’t happening. I see 8-4

Posted on: 10/10 5:01 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Theory's be damned. Win. Crawl out of the gut of dispare and find a way within all you know you have, and all you don't know you have. The only good opponent....is a dead opponent. Fight from your gut, for West Virginia, and win.

Posted on: 10/10 5:32 pm

Party Machine
Quote:

EERY wrote:
There is a lot of talent on this team. Unfortunately we haven't got it all together right now. I think we are going to be too good to not finish with winning record. This team feels like it is lacking some leadership and intensity at times. I think we are going to end up 7-5 or 8-4, unless we se a serious change in some things on this team.

For what its worth.... the assistant pastor at my church is from Fort Worth and a big TCU fan (along with his dad). We discussed the game today, and he, along with his father, and many other TCU fans felt they (TCU) should have lost the game against us last Saturday. They said that the TCU QB admitted he was often confused and bewildered by the WVU defense. My pastor said he sees West Virginia winning a lot more games and wouldn't be surprised to see a WVU-TCU Big 12 championship game. Or maybe he was just trying to be nice.

Posted on: 10/10 7:32 pm

Pitt Hater
From SW FL
Bad breaks (not our fault)
Bad calls (not our fault)
Bad kicks (very much our fault)

change two, we're 5 n 0
change three - and the talking heads are saying
look out for West Virginia in the playoffs !

sigh

Posted on: 10/10 8:22 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Fairmont
8-4.................best
7-5.................worst

Should be 4-1 only loss to Va Tech.

It all evens out in the game.................BUT BUT that
OPI killed us vs TCU

Posted on: 10/10 9:01 pm

Pitt Hater
From Athens GA
The ONLY time you don't want an interception is a long pass on 4th down. Anytime you take possession any place on the field is better than giving them another play. Same with punts. Them downing a punt inside the 5 sucks, but it's better than giving them another play.

Posted on: 10/10 11:10 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Quote:

DanG wrote:
Bad breaks (not our fault)
Bad calls (not our fault)
Bad kicks (very much our fault)

change two, we're 5 n 0
change three - and the talking heads are saying
look out for West Virginia in the playoffs !

sigh

While a 2 loss Big 12 team has no real possibility to make the playoff, barring a crazy scenario like 07, conference champions or at least conference championship game is well within our grasp. Seriously if **** ISU can beat Oklahoma, so can we. Just take it game by game. I firmly believe we will be playing for a conference championship this year.

Posted on: 10/10 11:11 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Quote:

SicPuppy wrote:
The ONLY time you don't want an interception is a long pass on 4th down. Anytime you take possession any place on the field is better than giving them another play. Same with punts. Them downing a punt inside the 5 sucks, but it's better than giving them another play.

I'd rather be tied and have the ball on the 1 yard line with 5 minutes left than to be down by 7 with the ball on the 25 with 1 minute left.

Posted on: 10/10 11:13 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Quote:

brobison wrote:
Quote:

WVUswim wrote:
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:

You seem to miss the point here.

The argument for why we only put up 24 is that we can't score against them because the PUNTER is so damn good and pins us inside the 5. Ohhhhh......Let's get an interception at the one and that will make it all better. We will go 99 yards and win the game. Apparently, your own arguments state that is highly unlikely and that the ball inside the one is the REASON we can't score.

By your own logic you would rather not have the ball there. The ball was on the 34. Stop THEM!!!!! No. We can't they wasted a down which should help us but we still couldn't stop them. It wasn't like they then threw a pass and got lucky for a touchdown again.....THEY DROVE THE BALL TO OUR 3 BEFORE THEY SCORED!!!!!!!

Defense......feel free to stop them at some point in time.

Interesting that the only two teams that we played have punters that apparently are the second coming of Ray Guy. How likely do you think that is?

We are not that good. We have lost to the only two teams we have played. They can turn things around this week but I am fully prepared to have Texas Tech beat us too. I think we will win this week but I don't think it is anywhere close to a given that we will.

I am sure their punter will be the third best ever. There is a recurring theme here.

EDIT: For us a better strategy would be to hold them to a field goal and get the ball at the 25.

Posted on: 10/11 7:45 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Yeah a stop would have been nice, or an interception. Lol. An interception at the one yard line would have been better because they wouldn't have scored the game winning touchdown.

And if we aren't that good, neither is Oklahoma State or Oklahoma.

Posted on: 10/11 8:27 am

Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Yeah a stop would have been nice, or an interception. Lol. An interception at the one yard line would have been better because they wouldn't have scored the game winning touchdown.

And if we aren't that good, neither is Oklahoma State or Oklahoma.

Until we had to punt because we started at the one and then they drove the next drive and scored. I think you are starting to understand my point. The point is we aren't going to move the ball and we can't stop them on the other side so it is irrelevant if we get the ball. I don't ever really want to get the ball on the two. I would rather take my chances with a stop out on the field at some other location. Too many bad things can happen when you are running your offense from your own 1 that would result in a safety. I don't have that much faith on our offense. Too many mental mistakes. I hold in the end zone is a safety, a grounding call.....etc.

It boils down to stopping them. There is no evidence to support our ability to stop them during this time. They scored each time we scored. The results by your argument would be a three and out and then we would be back where we were before the interception.

Oklahoma is a good team with a head coach learning to be a head coach with a glaring problem with their defense. I suspect that they will part ways with Mike Stoops at the end of the year.

Why do you say that about Oklahoma and Oklahoma State? I can't say that. We have played two football games this year and we are 0-2. We scheduled 3 cupcakes and we beat them one of those is mandated by our conference. This weeks game will determine whether we are a top half or bottom half team in the Big 12. Right now, I don't like our chances. It is really frustrating that as soon as we find one piece of the puzzle we find that 3 other puzzle pieces are gone.

TCU is a pretty good team. I do not know if I would call them a great team yet. They did handle Arkansas pretty easily. I think the results of this year so far is more about the ability of the Big 12 teams top to bottom. There is not going to be a gimme game with the exception of maybe Baylor from here on out.

Posted on: 10/11 8:47 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Deadwood, Lakota Territory
Please stop.

It was NOT an interception. He was clearly bobbling the ball and trying to regain possession when is right foot came down OUT OF BOUNDS. He did not have possession at any time until AFTER his right foot came down out of bounds.

And the reasons he didn't have possession in bounds are:

1 - he actually looked down to see where his feet were (taking his eyes off the ball) instead of instinctively dragging them as far behind himself and inbounds as he could (while concentrating on the ball). Bad technique.

2 - He didn't instinctively turn back towards the ball and snatch it with his hands to secure the catch as early as possible. Instead he waited for the ball to come over his shoulder to try and cradle it for the catch. Bad technique.

In THIS case, the refs were right. Bad technique cost us the interception, not the refs.

Posted on: 10/11 8:53 am

Help us Eric Cartman, YOU are our only hope.

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved