We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 (2)

Re: TOP 25 Week 11
Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

Xanthophyll wrote:
Yeah, that's total BS. That loss to VT Tech is killing us....

Insane that a loss to the #17th ranked team is killing us, shameful really.

Posted on: 11/15 12:01 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Pitt Hater
From columbia,sc
At this point, I know this will sound weird, but assuming we win next week against Texas, and if TCU and Okie Lite both win next week, I believe it is actually in our best interest in the long run to lose to Oklahoma.

Here is why:

We are in 4th place in the conference. We have beaten ISU and if we beat Texas, neither of those 2 will pass us in the conference. So our spot in 4th place is secure if we beat Texas.

There is nearly ZERO chance for us to end up in 2nd because it would require that BOTH TCU and Okie State lose at least one game over the next two weeks. It could happen, but not likely.

So if we do beat Oklahoma, we would knock the Big 12 out of the playoffs.

The reason that could hurt us is because if the conference does not have a representative in the playoffs, everyone gets knocked down a level in bowls. But if Oklahoma goes to the playoffs, the second place team would go to the Sugar, leaving the 3rd and 4th place teams in better bowls than if there was no Big 12 team in the playoffs.

Of course, all of this changes dramatically if somehow both TCU and Okie State lose one of their two remaining games. I just don't think that will happen.

Posted on: 11/15 12:28 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Robertsdale,Al via parkersburg
With that kind of thinking, why didnt Pitt just lay down for us `07 so we could have gone on to New Orleans ?

Posted on: 11/15 12:32 am

Pitt Hater
From columbia,sc
Quote:

wvsouth1 wrote:
With that kind of thinking, why didnt Pitt just lay down for us `07 so we could have gone on to New Orleans ?

I m not suggesting that any team should lay down for another. Hell, if the conference did that, we would be the ACC.
I am just saying that beating Oklahoma could cause us to end up in a worse situation than if Oklahoma beats us.

Less bowls to go around, worse bowl for us, and absolutely the MOST important thing is less MONEY!

The absolute MOST important thing in college football is MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!

In fact there is nothing else that even comes close to the importance of MONEY!

And the second most important thing? MONEY!

Money is the third, fourth, and fifth most important thing too! :)

In fact there is nothing else that matters. The only thing that matters in college football is money.

Just ask the SEC, ACC, Big 10, and Pac 12.

Posted on: 11/15 12:44 am

Suspected Punter
From Brookneal Va
I see what your saying....but I am not a fan of us being in the big 12. Aside from the money WVU gets I see no benefits. I say be the spoiler. I hope they win out.

Posted on: 11/15 5:55 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
Short term, for 17 and 18 is shocking OU in Norman would be amazing...combine that and a bowl win and with nearly everyone returning of significance not named White we would likely be top 10 with a shot to make a playoff run with next years schedule and the players the conference loses. Long term, could be very bad...if OU loses out on a spot with 2 losses and wins over TCU twice (ranked) OSU (top 15), and a road win in CBUS to Alabama who has beaten nobody or Clemson in the same boat, it will cement their belief that they must leave the League to consistently make the playoff. If they leave, Texas would likely leave as well when the GOR ends, putting us in a place of uncertainty.

The best scenario would be if somehow and unbeaten Wisconsin is left out or somehow the SEC gets left out. That would create immediate blowback from the B10/SEC which could lend itself to an 8 team playoff as soon as 2019 to ensure every conference champ gets in. That would be very good for WVU in a number of ways...first it allows us an easier and much more accessible avenue to the playoff. Second, it nearly guarantees OU/Texas an excellent shot at the playoff every year, giving them far more incentive to stay than to leave. It could even open the door for a P5 school who feels disadvantaged in the present conference behind a behemoth (LSU, to a much lesser degree Nebraska and USC/UCLA) to potentially see reason to jump to a smaller pond if the money is almost as good (SEC vs B12) or better from the PAC

Posted on: 11/15 7:17 am

Pitt Hater
From Wasilla, AK
According to Forbes here is what the Big 12 made last year for bowl games;

Big 12

$55 million base payout (which includes $300,000 for each team which meets the NCAA's APR for participation in a post-season football game)

$40 million for Oklahoma's berth in the Sugar Bowl (pursuant to a contract between the Big 12 and the Sugar Bowl)

Total: $95 million

Posted on: 11/15 9:04 am

« 1 (2)

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved