We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: White and Slaton feel unwelcome at WVU
Here for the Beer
From North Carolina
Crybabies. That is all I can say about White and Slaton. I am not sure why we were honoring them to begin with. After, they didn't play so well against Pitt that season, you may remember. I can't believe they had the audacity to go out in public, much less return to the scene of the crime.

Posted on: 11/9 10:08 pm

Pitt Hater
From Southwest VA ... via Pleasants County, USA
It seems possible to me that this is an aspect of the program that just hasn't evolved with the growth and success of WVU football in the Big 12 era and has been simply overlooked. Legacies like White, Slaton, Bulger, etc were pretty thin on the ground during their own era. We went decades between Sam Huff and Jeff Hostetler, but we've had dozens of successful pros since the RichRod era. But it shouldn't be the coaching staff's responsibility to deal with this. The AD needs an alumni director--at the very least, study how the traditional powerhouse programs handle football alumni relations.

I wouldn't overlook the possibility that this incident may be continuing fallout from the Stewart/Holgorsen power struggle. But if it's a pattern, something has to change. It will definitely affect my interest in continuing to donate. "Once a Mountaineer, always a Mountaineer" can NEVER be just a slogan.

Posted on: 11/9 11:36 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV
If it's a problem it's a athletic department problem more than football staff problem. Dana didn't schedule to honor the 07 team then half ass it. That's from someone in the ADs office. I want those guys treated like the football gods they are. It's not the coaching staffs job. Now if The letterman club or whatever sets up things and Dana locks the door facility then we can yell at Dana.

Posted on: 11/10 1:05 am

I-79 Alumni

Makin' it Rain
From Fairmont
Funny this comes up. Had my grandson at the O State game and Slaton was signing photos (State Farm). He ask my grandson if he wanted his picture taken with him, I said cool and get we take some good seats. Steve replied, "I hardly get those myself."

PS I thought it was the O State came the team was honored.

Posted on: 11/10 6:02 am

Makin' it Rain
From Fairmont
Quote:

BigDaddy wrote:
Crybabies. That is all I can say about White and Slaton. I am not sure why we were honoring them to begin with. After, they didn't play so well against Pitt that season, you may remember. I can't believe they had the audacity to go out in public, much less return to the scene of the crime.

Stupid ass post

Posted on: 11/10 6:04 am

Makin' it Rain
Quote:

jjmwvu wrote:
Let's be real here: present day Mountaineer football is the house Pat and Steve built. It didn't sound like they were making unreasonable requests. If the school wants to get all these guys together from across the country for basically one weekend, I don't think it's too much to ask for it to be better organized and worth their time. We at the very least owe them that. Pretty disappointing to hear.

To a degree that's very true, but what I think Pat and Steve need to realize is that they are the ones that get their pictures in the weight room and so on. They are the ones who will get recognized if they were walking through the blue lot on gameday. Pat and Steve (and Owen Schmitt) were the marquee players on those teams but there's a lot of other players who did a lot to also build that house that don't get mentioned. The casual fans in the blue lot would not spot Mike Dent or Ryan Stanchek or Darius Reynaud or Antonio Lewis Or Eric Wicks the way that Pat and Steve would be.

I do think it's unfortunate if they are not getting the recognition they deserve, but Pat White should keep in mind that very few will remember the guy who was snapping him the ball and opening up running lanes for him. Just saying they should try to keep things in better perspective.

Posted on: 11/10 10:24 am

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
This is bad business.

You keep your heroes as happy as you can (within reason) to honor them as a thank you to them, and in so doing you honor your own program and your school and your current players who see this. This boosts the morale of your team and instills in them the knowledge that their efforts are appreciated and will be recognized. If there is bad blood between the current coaching staff and the old players, then someone in the AD's office needs to be the liaison or welcoming committee or whatever. Make them feel special. They deserve it. All the former players. Not just these ones.

It wouldn't cost much and it would pay dividends on the current team and with recruiting and good will for the program. If Par White has a superstar son, will he be interested in WVU? Not likely.

This is good business, common sense and the right thing to do.

Posted on: 11/10 10:41 am

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Pitt Hater
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
This is bad business.

You keep your heroes as happy as you can (within reason) to honor them as a thank you to them, and in so doing you honor your own program and your school and your current players who see this. This boosts the morale of your team and instills in them the knowledge that their efforts are appreciated and will be recognized. If there is bad blood between the current coaching staff and the old players, then someone in the AD's office needs to be the liaison or welcoming committee or whatever. Make them feel special. They deserve it. All the former players. Not just these ones.

It wouldn't cost much and it would pay dividends on the current team and with recruiting and good will for the program. If Par White has a superstar son, will he be interested in WVU? Not likely.

Of course another outstanding post. Not are you only the funniest poster here, you always put things into perspective. Maybe you should spend some time in the soapbox.

Posted on: 11/10 11:42 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
Pat White openly bashed Dana on Twitter when we got killed at Baylor in 2013. His exact words were “this guy is never gunna get it done, they need to Lane Kiffin his ass”. I️ remember this explicitly because he and I️ got into a lengthy twitter spat over it. IMO Pat is responsible for us having the disasterous Stewart era by both his comments at the Fiesta Bowl and his lack of playing in 13-9. Ask Owen Schmitt what he thinks about PW that night...a lot of former players feel the same. Also remember a drunken tirade from Mozes on Mountaineer Hotline after a bad game a few years ago

I️ Love PW and Super Steve but PW said some nasty things. I’d love for them to be on the sidelines at games but understand why Dana may not

Posted on: 11/10 1:49 pm

Pitt Hater
From Philadelphia/West Virgina
The stress around the Mountaineer football complex is pretty intense during the season and is really heightened right before and during games. Even though I am a nobody I got too close to the practice facility and quickly got ushered away. Off season may be a better time to acknowledge past players.

The new improvements around the stadium have bigger than life images of Steve and Pat plus many other past greats.

If this is a real issue someone other than the current coaching staff needs to figure a way to honor past greats.

Posted on: 11/10 2:06 pm

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
This is bad business.

Of course another outstanding post. Not are you only the funniest poster here, you always put things into perspective. Maybe you should spend some time in the soapbox.

That's very kind of you. Thank you. As far as the soapbox is concerned, I swore that off years ago. I found myself starting to be aggrevated with my fellow Mountaineer fans because we had political differences and I didnt join this site to talk about that stuff. It was making me annoyed. I swore off talk radio years ago as well. Too much chatter and hyperbole just to get ratings and not enough reasoned substantive conversation. Just clatter that raised my blood pressure when I drove.

Posted on: 11/10 2:35 pm

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Morgantown
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
This is bad business.

That's very kind of you. Thank you. As far as the soapbox is concerned, I swore that off years ago. I found myself starting to be aggrevated with my fellow Mountaineer fans because we had political differences and I didnt join this site to talk about that stuff. It was making me annoyed. I swore off talk radio years ago as well. Too much chatter and hyperbole just to get ratings and not enough reasoned substantive conversation. Just clatter that raised my blood pressure when I drove.

That is what NPR is for. Unbias news with actual information.

Posted on: 11/10 3:39 pm
I am the bone of my sword, circuits my body and code my blood. I have crafted over a 1000 programs. Unaware of bugs not aware of success withstood pain to create apps, waiting for ones arrival I have no regrets this is the only path my whole life was UNLI

Pitt Hater
Quote:

WVUswim wrote:
IMO Pat is responsible for us having the disasterous Stewart era by both his comments at the Fiesta Bowl and his lack of playing in 13-9. Ask Owen Schmitt what he thinks about PW that night...a lot of former players feel the same. Also remember a drunken tirade from Mozes on Mountaineer Hotline after a bad game a few years ago

Interesting. If memory serves me correctly, didn't Pat White pull himself from that game due to a "Sore-thumb on his non-throwing hand?" Then he came back in at the end and was completely unproductive? I always thought that was kind of lame...

Anyway, my question: Can you kind of give us an idea of what Owen Schmitt thinks of PW on that night? Or at least a weblink to read? I'd be genuinely interested in hearing his thoughts.

Second: What are you talking about on the drunken tirade from Mozes on Mountaineer Hotline? I'd like to hear more about this as well.

You've got me curious WVUswim.

Posted on: 11/10 3:55 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

Xanthophyll wrote:
Quote:

WVUswim wrote:
IMO Pat is responsible for us having the disasterous Stewart era by both his comments at the Fiesta Bowl and his lack of playing in 13-9. Ask Owen Schmitt what he thinks about PW that night...a lot of former players feel the same. Also remember a drunken tirade from Mozes on Mountaineer Hotline after a bad game a few years ago

Interesting. If memory serves me correctly, didn't Pat White pull himself from that game due to a "Sore-thumb on his non-throwing hand?" Then he came back in at the end and was completely unproductive? I always thought that was kind of lame...

Anyway, my question: Can you kind of give us an idea of what Owen Schmitt thinks of PW on that night? Or at least a weblink to read? I'd be genuinely interested in hearing his thoughts.

Second: What are you talking about on the drunken tirade from Mozes on Mountaineer Hotline? I'd like to hear more about this as well.

You've got me curious WVUswim.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnatio ... on/pitt-west-virginia/amp

That’s the link to the article. Will bring up nightmares for us. Schmidt’s comments, read into them what you will. They are towards the end.

Can’t remember if it was 13 or 14 but it was a night game and believe it was a loss. We were staying at my buddies in Morgantown and were stuck in traffic near the colesium and listening to the postgame with maybe Hoppy or Jed...anyways Dan from Waynesburg calls in, announces himself as Rimington Award winner Dan Mozes very drunkenly and while he doesn’t go as far as PW in 2013, he openly questions Dana and the staff and very drunkenly said he wasn’t the guy. Whoever the hosts were were trying to sort of protect him and help him from embarrassing himself but he kept referring to himself as former rimington award winner dan Mozes. It was clearly him. Very uncool IMO. Didn’t like it one bit. They are certainly qualified to discuss the program and know more than us but it’s better to keep your mouth shut, especially while highly intoxicated

Posted on: 11/10 4:24 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Quote:

keczan wrote:
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
This is bad business.

LOL

>NPR
>unbiased

Pick one and only one.

Posted on: 11/10 4:38 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Morgantown
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Quote:

keczan wrote:
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
This is bad business.

LOL

>NPR
>unbiased

Pick one and only one.

NPR is definitely the most unbiased news source available to us as citizens. Nothing else even comes remotely close. Mostly facts, interviews both sides, great programming in regards to WV through WV Public Broadcasting, and no opinion pieces.

Posted on: 11/10 5:02 pm
I am the bone of my sword, circuits my body and code my blood. I have crafted over a 1000 programs. Unaware of bugs not aware of success withstood pain to create apps, waiting for ones arrival I have no regrets this is the only path my whole life was UNLI

Here for the Beer
From North Carolina
Quote:

1642 wrote:
Quote:

BigDaddy wrote:

Stupid ass post

You may want to go back and watch the Pitt game again. You will see just how awesome the 'Nickle and Dime' package worked against a team that had only won 4 games that year.

Stupid is as Stupid does Chester...

Posted on: 11/10 7:10 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Quote:

keczan wrote:
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Quote:

keczan wrote:
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
This is bad business.

LOL

>NPR
>unbiased

Pick one and only one.

NPR is definitely the most unbiased news source available to us as citizens. Nothing else even comes remotely close. Mostly facts, interviews both sides, great programming in regards to WV through WV Public Broadcasting, and no opinion pieces.

You're thinking of One America News Network.

If by unbiased you mean a news organization that didn't touch the Arwan scandal, said that the alt right is worse than radical Islamic terrorism, said Trump called immigrants rapists, canceled a Milo interview because he was "too reasonable", and said they werent doing any more live interviews with conservatives as unbiased, then continue to live in your bubble

Posted on: 11/10 9:04 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Morgantown
Breaking the large quote.

The Alt Right is equally as bad as radical Islamic terrorists, while they lack the violence, ignorance and intolerance is equally as destructive.

Trump did call immigrants rapists

Milo isn’t worth interviewing, he is an entertainer not a legitimate person for news stories.

They interview plenty of people from both sides. Have had plenty of republican government officials on over he past few months.

They are better than any other news source out there. If you have a better alternative, I am open to any and all valid news sources

Posted on: 11/10 9:42 pm

Pitt Hater
Quote:

WVUswim wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnatio ... on/pitt-west-virginia/amp

That’s the link to the article. Will bring up nightmares for us. Schmidt’s comments, read into them what you will. They are towards the end.

Thank you sir, interesting read, and sounds like he had a similar view. I also seem to recall from that season that Slaton would also miss quite a few quarters due to reoccurring issues with his legs and cramping.

Posted on: 11/10 10:49 pm

« 1 (2) 3 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved