We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

$83 Billion Investment Proposed for WV
Party Machine
From Northern WV
While it's certainly not a done deal, this has the potential to change everything in WV.

West Virginia announces $83.7 billion gas development deal with China Energy

PS: Almost posted in The Couch, but I have a feeling it'll end up being Soap Box worthy.

Posted on: 11/10 3:29 am

Re: $83 Billion Investment Proposed for WV
Here for the Beer
From Fairmont WV
I enjoyed reading the comments in that article. Some people live under rocks.

Posted on: 11/10 9:04 am

Party Machine
From Northern WV
Quote:

MontaniTrout wrote:
I enjoyed reading the comments in that article. Some people live under rocks.

Now I wish I wouldn't have looked. China wants their money back now.

Posted on: 11/10 9:21 am

Pitt Hater
From North Central, WV
This potentially be good for our state. About time we see some return on all the money China has made on us over so many years.

Posted on: 11/12 7:15 pm

Party Machine
From Northern WV
I just hope it comes to fruition. I know people are divided on what the coal industry has done for our state, but regardless of how anyone feels, it has been THE industry in WV for over a century. Coal has a limited industrial use (mainly power generation and metallurgy) where industrial uses for hydrocarbons are nearly limitless. This could be the next "coal" in WV, for better or worse.

Posted on: 11/12 9:25 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From LA
I know many good and hard-working people were able to make a living from coal and now natural gas but fossil fuels are not the future.

The rest of the world is moving away from expendable energy sources. Renewable energies, even without subsidies, are becoming cheaper and therefore capitalism and business dictates that expendable energy will be eliminated or greatly reduced due to labor, extraction and transportation costs.

This is only good if we've learned from the past 150 years and use any finical gains in the short term to invest in a future for the state instead of chasing a past that left us in the welfare state we've become.

I know people need food on the table right now, but there needs to be a future or this state will keep sinking.

Posted on: 11/13 11:44 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Pitt Hater
From North Central, WV
I do agree with you about WV investing in the future, as well investing into renewable energies.

I don't think the world is so much moving toward building an infrastructure that could actually sustain our current consumption of energy over the next 50 years, as they are building a global carbon tax system designed to pick winners and losers. One day we will be able to operate predominantly on renewable energy, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime, not unless you lump nuclear energy into the renewable column that is.

Posted on: 11/13 5:23 pm

Party Machine
From Northern WV
Quote:

delispam wrote:
I know many good and hard-working people were able to make a living from coal and now natural gas but fossil fuels are not the future.

The rest of the world is moving away from expendable energy sources. Renewable energies, even without subsidies, are becoming cheaper and therefore capitalism and business dictates that expendable energy will be eliminated or greatly reduced due to labor, extraction and transportation costs.

This is only good if we've learned from the past 150 years and use any finical gains in the short term to invest in a future for the state instead of chasing a past that left us in the welfare state we've become.

I know people need food on the table right now, but there needs to be a future or this state will keep sinking.

With the last energy industry downturn, the remaining industry fine tuned production and dramatically cut costs to match pricing. Most remaining E&P companies are profitable at sub $3/MMBTU at NYMEX pricing. Only a few years ago, NYMEX spiked around $14/MMBTU. The industry and prices are still recovering from the last downturn. Demand for petroleum and petroleum products rise like clockwork year over year with few exceptions and is expected to continue. What I'm trying to say is renewables are light-years away from outpacing hydrocarbons as a preferred energy source. And of course, don't forget petroleum products. You may not be burning natural gas in a power plant or burning gasoline in your car, but that doesn't mean that demand won't still be present.

Fossil fuels may not be the future, but they will be my future and almost certainly my children's future. Of course this will only go on as long as the free market is allowed to dictate.

Posted on: 11/13 10:16 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Madison, AL
Well, if coal and gas ain't the answer, then what is? Increasing the miles of the Hatfield and McCoy trails seems to be the only alternative.

Posted on: 11/13 10:38 pm

Here for the Beer
From Fairmont WV
Can someone please explain to me what shale gas development and chemical manufacturing projects exactly mean? How is this type of business ran? How does this positively effect WV? What are the negative impacts? Are there regulations protecting the natural landscape of the state?

I'm not trying to spark debate, I'm genuinely curious.
Thanks,

Posted on: 11/14 8:50 am

Pitt Hater
From Columbus, OH (via Belpre, OH)
Quote:

MontaniTrout wrote:
Are there regulations protecting the natural landscape of the state?

Posted on: 11/14 10:11 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Party Machine
From Northern WV
Quote:

MontaniTrout wrote:
Can someone please explain to me what shale gas development and chemical manufacturing projects exactly mean? How is this type of business ran? How does this positively effect WV? What are the negative impacts? Are there regulations protecting the natural landscape of the state?

I'm not trying to spark debate, I'm genuinely curious.
Thanks,

There seems to be a wide range of information here. They do link to EnergyInDepth which is an energy industry funded site, so I would encourage you to do additional digging.

NETL also has information on new technologies and research in the petrochemical industry. NETL is federally funded so they will probably be more impartial. From experience, I can honestly tell you their website content is largely dependent on who is president at the time.

Posted on: 11/14 10:21 pm

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved