We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 »

Woman Dragged Out of West Virginia House Hearing For Listing Oil and Gas Contributions to Members
Gettin' Schmitty
From durham, nc

Posted on: 2/12 7:50 pm

I don't stand by anything. ~Donald J. Trump
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Woman Dragged Out of West Virginia House Hearing For Listing Oil and Gas Contributions to Members
Makin' it Rain
From North Central, WV
Holy cow! That blew my mind. Thanks for posting. This is huge. I can’t believe they would drag her out of the meeting. What a bunch of crooks.

This bill is so wrong. I’m definitely going to look more into this. We might have to storm the capital over this.

Posted on: 2/12 8:39 pm

Re: Woman Dragged Out of West Virginia House Hearing For Listing Oil and Gas Contributions to Members
Makin' it Rain
From North Central, WV
God bless that lady. She is fighting the good fight for all of us WV property owners.

Posted on: 2/12 8:44 pm

Pitt Hater
From Madhattan
Quote:

EERY wrote:
God bless that lady. She is fighting the good fight for all of us WV property owners.

So brave of her to publicly call out prevalent rampant corruption. Good to know you’ll be supporting Democratic candidates from here on out.

Posted on: 2/12 9:30 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From durham, nc
I don’t see this as liberal/conservative. This treatment of a WV citizen that is merely using her one minute and forty-five seconds to say what the public is thinking is beyond mind blowing regardless of party.

The bill is bad...but that group of house members needs to be voted out for this specific behavior in my opinion. If they don’t want their donors known in the public arena, don’t take the money!

Posted on: 2/13 5:19 am

Pitt Hater
From Parkersburg,WV
Quote:

This article, along with pretty much every article I've seen on this subject is grossly misleading at best.

Posted on: 2/13 10:45 am

Pitt Hater
From Parkersburg,WV
Quote:

hill_William wrote:
Quote:

EERY wrote:

So brave of her to publicly call out prevalent rampant corruption. Good to know you’ll be supporting Democratic candidates from here on out.

Yeah, because none of them are corrupt...

p.s. *rolls eyes

p.s.s. 4 realz

Posted on: 2/13 10:47 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From durham, nc
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:
Quote:

This article, along with pretty much every article I've seen on this subject is grossly misleading at best.

Happy to be educated on the subject. Please explain what is grossly misleading?

Posted on: 2/13 12:05 pm

Makin' it Rain
From North Central, WV
Quote:

hill_William wrote:
Quote:

EERY wrote:

I vote for Democrat candidates in every election. I just usually can’t vote for them at the Federal level. It’s due to pretty much all of them being progressives instead of classic Liberals.

I voted for Manchin in his first run for Senator. Unfortunately he hasn’t completely stood for the things he said he would. The party has corrupted him to some extent.

He was a good Governor in my opinion though. Much better than the two that came after him.

Posted on: 2/13 1:17 pm

Pitt Hater
From Madhattan
Quote:

EERY wrote:
Quote:

hill_William wrote:
Quote:

EERY wrote:

I vote for Democrat candidates in every election. I just usually can’t vote for them at the Federal level. It’s due to pretty much all of them being progressives instead of classic Liberals.

I voted for Manchin in his first run for Senator. Unfortunately he hasn’t completely stood for the things he said he would. The party has corrupted him to some extent.

He was a good Governor in my opinion though. Much better than the two that came after him.

Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on: 2/13 8:44 pm

Party Machine
From Northern WV
What's wrong with the bill?

Posted on: 2/13 9:37 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From durham, nc
Quote:

jjmwvu wrote:

From the link:
Quote:
Lissa Lucas traveled the 100 miles from her home in Cairo, West Virginia to the state capitol in Charleston Friday to testify against an oil and gas industry sponsored bill (HB 4268) that would allow companies to drill on minority mineral owners’ land without their consent.

This isn’t a lot of information.

Could it be to prevent a 1% stakeholder from holding up development approved by the other 99%? That might be reasonable.

...or is it a way to let corporations purchase 51% of mineral rights vs. 100% in order to extract the resources? That might not be reasonable.

The link definitely has an angle: “Bad treatment = bad bill”.

The treatment was 100% bullsh!t. Dunno about the bill for sure.

Posted on: 2/13 10:10 pm

Party Machine
From Northern WV
Quote:

eer_4da_beer wrote:
Quote:

jjmwvu wrote:

From the link:
Quote:
Lissa Lucas traveled the 100 miles from her home in Cairo, West Virginia to the state capitol in Charleston Friday to testify against an oil and gas industry sponsored bill (HB 4268) that would allow companies to drill on minority mineral owners’ land without their consent.

This isn’t a lot of information.

Could it be to prevent a 1% stakeholder from holding up development approved by the other 99%? That might be reasonable.

...or is it a way to let corporations purchase 51% of mineral rights vs. 100% in order to extract the resources? That might not be reasonable.

The link definitely has an angle: “Bad treatment = bad bill”.

The treatment was 100% bullsh!t. Dunno about the bill for sure.

Agreed, the treatment was horrendous.

My understanding is that this is a co-tenancy bill that would permit leasing with the approval of 75% or more of the royalty heirs/owners of an individual mineral tract. Co-tenancy is not forced pooling. Additionally, every heir would receive royalties for their share regardless of whether they were in the majority or minority.

The corporations benefit would not come from snubbing mineral owners (they can't), it would come from the decrease in litigation, money, and time spent tracking down partial royalty owners that are sometimes impossible to find. The current system in WV requires the approval of 100% of royalty owners. Leases with 200+ heirs are not uncommon in WV and in some cases a majority of the heirs don't even live in the state. Some heirs don't even know they're heirs.

Of course there are going to be situations where a partial owner actually lives on the property and doesn't want drilling but the majority mineral owners who live elsewhere do. In my experience this is a very rare occurrence.

Edit: In the above case, a surface use agreement with the actual landowner would still have to be completed in order to disturb the land. This bill appears to be strictly pertaining to the subsurface.

This bill seems like a reasonable compromise without instating full-on forced pooling.

Posted on: 2/13 10:46 pm

Makin' it Rain
From North Central, WV
Ah okay. Well I took the lazy route on this one and didn’t read the bill before giving a knee jerk reaction. I thought that this was going to give companies the right to disturb the surface without the consent of the surface owner, if they had rights to the mineral.

Posted on: 2/13 11:55 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From durham, nc
Thanks for the info jjm!

Open in new window

Posted on: 2/14 10:29 am

Pitt Hater
From Parkersburg,WV
Quote:

eer_4da_beer wrote:
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:
Quote:

Happy to be educated on the subject. Please explain what is grossly misleading?

Jim pretty much summed it up. The article you shared along with several other I have read leads one to believe that operators only need to secure a few leases then they can do what ever they want and that is not the case.

I have personally been involved in 3 instances where a family member has disappeared without a trace. The remaining family members have leased their interests but, WV requires 100% of the interests to be leased before a well can be drilled. There are legal measures that can be taken but that can be quite costly and can take time. This bill puts us on par with Ohio and Pennsylvania when it comes to development.

The other road blocks are people whose mineral interests are currently held by an older lease. Those leases require modification to allow for pooling and unitization. Typically people are paid between $500-$1000 per acre to sign a modification which allows the operator to drill new wells which pay much better in terms of royalty. However, some of these people insist they should be offered the same terms as people signing new leases and refuse to sign modifications unless those terms are met. In some cases we may have everyone else's interests modified and this person is stopping everyone from proceding. These are a bigger issue in my opinion.

WV could go a step farther and implement some sort of dormant mineral statute which could help with unlocatable mineral owners.

Posted on: 2/16 4:30 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From durham, nc
Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

The lady In the the video probably could have helped her cause a bit if she started with some examples of who the bill actually hurts.

Posted on: 2/16 8:15 pm

Pitt Hater
From Parkersburg,WV
Quote:

eer_4da_beer wrote:
Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

The lady In the the video probably could have helped her cause a bit if she started with some examples of who the bill actually hurts.

She helped her cause exactly how she intended, free publicity. Sh's running for office the year, there's no way she could have afforded the exposure she received from that stunt.

Posted on: 2/17 9:24 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Just barely outside the Beltway.
Quote:

EERY wrote:
Holy cow! That blew my mind. Thanks for posting. This is huge. I can’t believe they would drag her out of the meeting. What a bunch of crooks.

This bill is so wrong. I’m definitely going to look more into this. We might have to storm the capital over this.

I agree. This is unacceptable.

Posted on: 2/18 10:51 am

Makin' it Rain
From North Central, WV
Legislature, Governor, make right call o n co-tenancy drilling bill
http://wvmetronews.com/2018/03/08/leg ... co-tenancy-drilling-bill/

Posted on: 3/9 6:14 am

(1) 2 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved