We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

Trade Wars
Gettin' Schmitty
From durham, nc
Although my instinct is to assume Trump is just being an idiot...it’s a complex topic. Are we supposed to let Chinese steel/aluminum drive our domestic producers out of business? A pure macroeconomic view would be yes because they do it more efficiently (cheaper). But we need jobs and there is a national security aspect to it. I don’t want China putting our military steel purchase on back order.

Link wants to hate Trump but gives him a little credit as well.

Posted on: 3/8 6:20 am

I don't stand by anything. ~Donald J. Trump
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Trade Wars
Makin' it Rain
From North Central, WV
Quote:

eer_4da_beer wrote:
Although my instinct is to assume Trump is just being an idiot...it’s a complex topic. Are we supposed to let Chinese steel/aluminum drive our domestic producers out of business? A pure macroeconomic view would be yes because they do it more efficiently (cheaper). But we need jobs and there is a national security aspect to it. I don’t want China putting our military steel purchase on back order.

It is a complex issue. The main reasons China can produce so much cheaper than America can is because of their low wages and poor working conditions. They also don’t have those pesky environment protecting regulations like America does.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/07/us-ste ... ceo-on-trump-tariffs.html

Posted on: 3/8 6:35 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Just barely outside the Beltway.
Quote:

EERY wrote:
Quote:

eer_4da_beer wrote:

It is a complex issue. The main reasons China can produce so much cheaper than America can is because of their low wages and poor working conditions. They also don’t have those pesky environment protecting regulations like America does.

I agree with you that this is a complex issue, which is why we cannot afford to have the Trump administration trying to solve it.

And yes, those pesky environmental regulations.....

Open in new window

EDIT: So, given that China is working to strengthen environmental regulations, do you see this equalizing costs somewhat or will China do it more effectively?

Posted on: 3/8 10:59 am

Makin' it Rain
From North Central, WV
Quote:
So, given that China is working to strengthen environmental regulations, do you see this equalizing costs somewhat or will China do it more effectively?

I suppose that depends on the scope and scale that they impose the regulations. Also it would depend on how that we regulations were enforced. If a company can get off cheap by paying a slap on the wrist fine instead of going to the expense of cleaning up their production and waste disposal, then the results will be marginal.

Posted on: 3/9 12:24 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From durham, nc
Quote:

EERY wrote:
Quote:
So, given that China is working to strengthen environmental regulations, do you see this equalizing costs somewhat or will China do it more effectively?

I suppose that depends on the scope and scale that they impose the regulations. Also it would depend on how that we regulations were enforced. If a company can get off cheap by paying a slap on the wrist fine instead of going to the expense of cleaning up their production and waste disposal, then the results will be marginal.

In China you conform or they burn your factory down with you in it as an example to the others. Only needs to be done once or twice.

Posted on: 3/9 12:53 pm

I don't stand by anything. ~Donald J. Trump

Makin' it Rain
From North Central, WV
You do have a point.

Posted on: 3/9 1:23 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
Quote:

EERY wrote:
You do have a point.

Agreed. Dan Carlin made the comment that sometimes you need the agility of a totalitarian government to get **** done.

I don't feel the benefits of a central power justify the loss of freedom and self-direction of a democracy.

Having said that, I do not feel we have been living in a democracy for some time.

Posted on: 3/10 3:24 pm

Makin' it Rain
From North Central, WV
Quote:

zwaaa wrote:
Quote:

EERY wrote:
You do have a point.

Agreed. Dan Carlin made the comment that sometimes you need the agility of a totalitarian government to get **** done.

I don't feel the benefits of a central power justify the loss of freedom and self-direction of a democracy.

Having said that, I do not feel we have been living in a democracy for some time.

The system is definitely games at the very least. We have been given an appearance of choice for many years now.

Posted on: 3/10 5:22 pm

Pitt Hater
From Frederick, MD
Quote:

EERY wrote:
Quote:

eer_4da_beer wrote:

Aren’t the Chinese steel producers essentially owned by the central government, and highly subsidized? I’m far from an expert but I’ve always thought that was their biggest competitive advantage.

Posted on: 3/10 8:49 pm

Obama: We will put a man in your daughter's restroom.

Gettin' Schmitty
More to the topic. I am totally in favor of a trade war if it involves Jedi and a planetary blockade.

Posted on: 3/12 9:09 am

Gettin' Schmitty
Quote:

EERY wrote:
Quote:

zwaaa wrote:
Quote:

EERY wrote:
You do have a point.

The system is definitely games at the very least. We have been given an appearance of choice for many years now.

Yup, and the games are afoot everywhere right now. True to form the DNC are still trying to figure out the rules while the RNC has just changed them. the DNC will stand around wringing their hands while the RNC p0wn3s them!

Republicans are superior at all political techniques.

Posted on: 7/4 6:31 pm

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved