Grant Ave. Warrior
Also have become a big Harris fan

Posted on: 3/9 11:31 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Bears Make Good Hunting Gameday Thread

From Charlottesville, Virginia
Quote:

MichaelJLucasWV wrote:
I agree about Teddy being wasted right now. I also think that if Bob can find a way to completely overhaul his play style philosophy to take better advantage of his players, which he did with the press, then he should be doing the same thing with his teaching and motivational techniques. For example, I honestly think that Bob has done a very poor job, from the limited time i see him screaming and cussing at players that look beat down, when you look at what that kind of constant pressure from your coach, and little to no positive reinforcement has done to players that are not reaching their potential at all. Some examples;
Teddy Allen - Teddy has been LITERALLY the only player that seemed like he even wanted to move at all at times, and has single handidly pulled our collective asses out of the fire when we have gone stagnant offensively. Yeah he looks like a headache to coach at times, but some players react better to things other than screaming, and for a kid with this much potential, I fail to see anything on gameday that suggests Huggins wants to win more than be stubborn at times. No I'm not saying make excuses for Teddy, but to not even try to adjust to a player's personality seems like a stubborn, and counter productive way to be if you're a hall of fame head coach.
Lamont West - Almost the same story but for different reasons. I continue to see Lamont seem disinterested or unmotivated at times. I don't remember Bob yelling at him as much as this year. When Lamont was hitting shots, you could call it a push for Huggins, but he's clearly either down on himself, or in a shooting slump and continuing to give the "whatever" attitude. Something needs to be done. A different approach needs to be tried here, and yet again, i see Bob doing the same things.
Magic Bender - I still think this was and continues to be a case of wasted potential. Something's in his head and has been. While they have been brief, we have seen flashes that Bender can be a much better player and contribute a lot more. He is far more gifted than Logan, but here's the difference. Logan looks comfortable and is as tall. Bender looks completely out of place, and unsure of himself. Yet again, same thing from Bob. Screaming and cussing.
Yeah I know that Bob is great at a LOT of things, and has proven that he can be flexible in a LOT of things. I just don't understand why he continues to be so rigid, when, to me, so much more could be gotten from some of these kids. No, I am not at practice, so I understand my views may be flawed. And yes, I know that there are assistants to nurture these kids through a lot of this stuff. Still. there is NO substitute for game day experience on a team, just like there is NO substitute for game day success for a player. I think as good as this team is, to throw away so much talent, rather than to try a different approach and be a little more flexible in your personality is just a bad coaching move, and at least to those of us with a limited view, it looks costly and stubborn.

One last thing.. STOP STALLING WHEN YOU HAVE A FREAKIN LEAD IN THE SECOND HALF.. that fuking kills me, and has cost us at least 4 games and even more big second half leads.. These used to be the times that we counted on Teddy to pick this team up and carry their ass until they would get moving again.. not so much anymore... But it's worth it even if it costs us a lead in the tournament, as long as the coaches don't have to put up with his attitude, right?

Huggs is thinking long term and on a broader scale. There is a reason Dax and Carter are the two toughest players on the team. I recall Dax having poor body language at times during his first two seasons at WVU. Now he is tough as nails and a leader to the younger players. There are only five players on the floor at a time. You cannot afford to have one of them distracted by hurt feelings or not giving an effort at both ends. Having played a sport that requires a high work rate, I can tell you that nothing will demoralize the other four players more than working their ass off only to have one player not giving the same effort so that their work is for nothing. Watch the players when they cause a ten-second violation or a travel or other turnover on defense. They work their ass of and get a reward and get excited about it. If one player isn't working at the same rate, then it falls apart and they don't have success, which leads to frustration. You simply cannot afford to have one player either not working or not on the same page, especially in basketball. I side with Huggs-don't reward that behavior, whether it occurs in practice or a game.

Posted on: 3/9 11:49 am

Pitt Hater
Agree completely. I will add too, last night was the first time I think ALL players were playing with the same intensity . If they had not played as a team and with this intensity Baylor probably would have whipped our asses.

Posted on: 3/9 12:04 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Fairmont
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Agree completely. I will add too, last night was the first time I think ALL players were playing with the same intensity . If they had not played as a team and with this intensity Baylor probably would have whipped our asses.

Well said, and I agree with the statement about Teddy (my shot) Allen. If IF he sticks with it and listens he will be a better than average college player. I hope he doesn't transfer but if he does he does.

Posted on: 3/9 12:44 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Fairmont
Quote:

Eers88 wrote:
Quote:

MichaelJLucasWV wrote:
I agree about Teddy being wasted right now. I also think that if Bob can find a way to completely overhaul his play style philosophy to take better advantage of his players, which he did with the press, then he should be doing the same thing with his teaching and motivational techniques. For example, I honestly think that Bob has done a very poor job, from the limited time i see him screaming and cussing at players that look beat down, when you look at what that kind of constant pressure from your coach, and little to no positive reinforcement has done to players that are not reaching their potential at all. Some examples;
Teddy Allen - Teddy has been LITERALLY the only player that seemed like he even wanted to move at all at times, and has single handidly pulled our collective asses out of the fire when we have gone stagnant offensively. Yeah he looks like a headache to coach at times, but some players react better to things other than screaming, and for a kid with this much potential, I fail to see anything on gameday that suggests Huggins wants to win more than be stubborn at times. No I'm not saying make excuses for Teddy, but to not even try to adjust to a player's personality seems like a stubborn, and counter productive way to be if you're a hall of fame head coach.
Lamont West - Almost the same story but for different reasons. I continue to see Lamont seem disinterested or unmotivated at times. I don't remember Bob yelling at him as much as this year. When Lamont was hitting shots, you could call it a push for Huggins, but he's clearly either down on himself, or in a shooting slump and continuing to give the "whatever" attitude. Something needs to be done. A different approach needs to be tried here, and yet again, i see Bob doing the same things.
Magic Bender - I still think this was and continues to be a case of wasted potential. Something's in his head and has been. While they have been brief, we have seen flashes that Bender can be a much better player and contribute a lot more. He is far more gifted than Logan, but here's the difference. Logan looks comfortable and is as tall. Bender looks completely out of place, and unsure of himself. Yet again, same thing from Bob. Screaming and cussing.
Yeah I know that Bob is great at a LOT of things, and has proven that he can be flexible in a LOT of things. I just don't understand why he continues to be so rigid, when, to me, so much more could be gotten from some of these kids. No, I am not at practice, so I understand my views may be flawed. And yes, I know that there are assistants to nurture these kids through a lot of this stuff. Still. there is NO substitute for game day experience on a team, just like there is NO substitute for game day success for a player. I think as good as this team is, to throw away so much talent, rather than to try a different approach and be a little more flexible in your personality is just a bad coaching move, and at least to those of us with a limited view, it looks costly and stubborn.

One last thing.. STOP STALLING WHEN YOU HAVE A FREAKIN LEAD IN THE SECOND HALF.. that fuking kills me, and has cost us at least 4 games and even more big second half leads.. These used to be the times that we counted on Teddy to pick this team up and carry their ass until they would get moving again.. not so much anymore... But it's worth it even if it costs us a lead in the tournament, as long as the coaches don't have to put up with his attitude, right?

Huggs is thinking long term and on a broader scale. There is a reason Dax and Carter are the two toughest players on the team. I recall Dax having poor body language at times during his first two seasons at WVU. Now he is tough as nails and a leader to the younger players. There are only five players on the floor at a time. You cannot afford to have one of them distracted by hurt feelings or not giving an effort at both ends. Having played a sport that requires a high work rate, I can tell you that nothing will demoralize the other four players more than working their ass off only to have one player not giving the same effort so that their work is for nothing. Watch the players when they cause a ten-second violation or a travel or other turnover on defense. They work their ass of and get a reward and get excited about it. If one player isn't working at the same rate, then it falls apart and they don't have success, which leads to frustration. You simply cannot afford to have one player either not working or not on the same page, especially in basketball. I side with Huggs-don't reward that behavior, whether it occurs in practice or a game.

LOVE THIS STATEMENT: I side with Huggs-don't reward that behavior, whether it occurs in practice or a game.

Posted on: 3/9 12:46 pm

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
I have seen a different Teddy since the doghouse. He has passed much more. He has hustled more on defense and has been much better in how he carries himself. He has taken fewer ridiculous, out of control, shots. Unfortunately, I think his offensive confidence is suffering at the moment.

He is just getting started and I hope he buys into the Huggins way of doing things. Think Rocky II and having to learn not how to fight southpaw. Pretty bumpy at first, but Rocky hung in, chased that chicken around, carried that big log and did squats, punched the heavy bag with his left arm tied behind his back, he did what it took, and beat Apollo Creed at the end. Hopefully Teddy Buckets will become Teddy Steals.

I suspect he is not as productive defensively because he doesn't understand the nuances yet of playing Press Virginia ball. He, like most kids coming out of high school, has not played much defense but can score. This is the first time he's really learning how to play defense at a high-level and under Huggins with press Virginia this isn't just a high-level this is like learning a new language.

If you watch the progression of our players who stay in the program, the good ones have a dramatic improvement defensively. Harris has already upped his defensive game. It was fun watching him last night.

Patience in all things.

Posted on: 3/9 1:19 pm

Eat Shit Pitt
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Pitt Hater
From Spartanburg, SC via Boone County WV
it wasnt just teddy. though i understand the sitting, thats not what we wwere talking about. we were talking about the screaming, mostly, and his refusal to adjust to personalities. im not saying at all that you should reward me first ****. at all. but to just sceam and scream, and just NEVER use positive reinforcement. also, i gave more examples than just teddy. a coach that cant discipline his players, and find a way to get the best out of them, is a coach with a flaw.. i love huggs. im not in love with his personality conflicts and stubborness.

Posted on: 3/9 11:15 pm

From Charlottesville, Virginia
Quote:

MichaelJLucasWV wrote:
it wasnt just teddy. though i understand the sitting, thats not what we wwere talking about. we were talking about the screaming, mostly, and his refusal to adjust to personalities. im not saying at all that you should reward me first ****. at all. but to just sceam and scream, and just NEVER use positive reinforcement. also, i gave more examples than just teddy. a coach that cant discipline his players, and find a way to get the best out of them, is a coach with a flaw.. i love huggs. im not in love with his personality conflicts and stubborness.

First, have you not seen how the players love Huggs? He isn't just screaming at them. If he were, you wouldn't see that type of genuine affection toward him. BTW - there is a difference between intrinsic motivation and extrinsic motivation. If a player is playing Division 1 basketball and is having trouble with motivation, it likely has nothing to do with the coach.

Second, read this: Washington Post: The Hardest Working Team In The Nation

A coach doesn't get his players to express that level of pride in the work they put in. I am guessing Teddy is feeling more heat from the players then the coaching staff.

Third, watch this:

Posted on: 3/10 9:17 am

« 1 2 3 (4)

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved