We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

HBO Movie Paterno
WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
Watched this last evening and, of course, it is supposed to be fact based and appears to be. The movie's last scene is the Purlitzer Prize winning reporter's phone ringing and she gets a call saying it is another victim of Sandusky and that he talked to JoPa back in 1976 about being molested and JoPa said not to talk that way about Sandusky.

That floored me.

I knew he reported it in 2001 or 2003 when the assistant coach came to him after he saw something and that he didn't do anything in 1998 when he was made aware. But to know since 1976 and do nothing thereby allowing everything to happen that happened and could have been prevented. That is even more screwed up than I realized.

Just somehow missed that piece when the story broke a few years ago, perhaps it was for effect.

I just looked at the trial info and the first victim seems to be named as having been victimized beginning in 1994, though that clearly doesn't mean that was his first victim.

Anyway, old news but movie was interesting.

Posted on: 4/25 1:37 pm

Eat Shit Pitt
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: HBO Movie Paterno
Pitt Hater
From Philadelphia/West Virgina
As a Penn State graduate, I followed the story closely. The pedestal that the football program was on was nothing like I had ever seen before or since. I thought that Joe was just oblivious to the abuse because he was so obsessed with football. But, I always held him accountable because it was his program. The movie ~ if true ~ made me realize that Joe turned a blind eye from the beginning (probably back in the 70's when I was there). The movie made me feel more repulsed by Paterno than I had before. Baylor and Art Briles are equally as disgusting. I never want Rich Rod back. WVU's football and basketball programs may not win the big one, but there is something to be said for morals and doing things in coaching and in life the right way.

I just hope I never have to read any stories about WVU coaches being less than honorable.

Posted on: 4/25 5:00 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved