We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown on West Virginia

From Charlottesville, Virginia
Tonight's "Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown" is set in West Virginia. It started at 9:00 on CNN. So far it is really good. He is full of praise for West Virginians.

Posted on: 4/29 8:18 pm

Re: Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown on West Virginia
Gettin' Schmitty
From Madison, AL
Is he going after the Mountain Monsters and "things" from counties that the locals have never heard of before?

Posted on: 4/29 9:10 pm

From Charlottesville, Virginia
The show is formatted so that locals drive the subject. It is about food and culture. The episode was really good and portrayed West Virginians in a favorable light. It is worth watching.

Posted on: 4/29 9:17 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Pruntytown, WV
I was totally disappointed.
I honestly forgot about the show even though I had it marked down. My brother texted me and I watched the last half starting when they were climbing hillsides in souped up 4 wheelers and kids wallowing in mud holes. That's when I thought, here we go again. Same old shitt with Bourdain giving the rest of the country what they want to reconfirm their WV impressions. Yeah, he was "nice" about what he was seeing and showed the hard-scrabble honor of the people..in a backwoods sort of way. I'll try to watch the first half of the show but I guess it's the same theme..poverty, self-reliance, faith, blowin' **** up, guns, endurance, hillbilly fun and isolation. Do people down there really eat THAT much squirrel, rabbit, frogs and other assorted woodland critters?
The entire show filmed in McDowell County? GMAFB...
I guess "Parts Unknown" title prevented the show from filming positive areas of WV.. the Potomac Highland sector and the resurgent panhandles and the coolness of the whitewater crowd and their eclectic home base in Fayetteville.

Posted on: 5/1 8:06 pm

"I'd Rather Have A Bottle In Front Of Me Than A Frontal Lobotomy."
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Gettin' Schmitty
From Madison, AL
It is CNN. I expect nothing else.

Posted on: 5/1 9:22 pm

Pitt Hater
From Philadelphia/West Virgina
Well I felt it was a fair betrayal of the Southern Coalfields... West Virginia has maybe 4 or 5 totally different cultural environments. I have worked and lived in West Virginia all my adult life. The prejudice and racism (although often times very hidden and silent) has been the only aspect of life here that makes me shutter. It was heartwarming to see the community of Mount View embracing diversity and the love of football. I thought about why this community seems to be above racism and my conclusion is that they are all black underground in the coal mines as well as that they work in a job where their lives depend on each other...

Posted on: 5/2 6:15 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved