We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 ... 2121 2122 2123 (2124)

Re: delete
WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
I went through the research process on this within the last year and settled on stihl or husquavarna only. I went with the husq. ultimately. I was only purchasing for around the house, light use and frankly forget which number I bought. I settled on one that wasnt too huge because Im prone to jacking up my lower back from time to time.

I saw a couple comments and articles claiming the stihls had dropped off a little the last year or two, which made me a little skeptical, so I leaned to the Husq.

Ive cut down a pine and couple other medium size trees and have done some up high limb removal on pin oaks (was stupid working on an 8 foot step ladder). Helped a buddy dispose of a massive tree that fell over during a storm. It works like a charm.

There was a very highly rated Husq farm use one that kept getting great reviews. Like top of class kinda reviews and I was going to get it but decided it was way too heavy and more than I needed.

I would recommend anything with an easy start feature bc starting that thing on a hot day w protective gear is a bitch for my old ass. Spend the money on any easy start features, you will be glad you did.

I got the 16 inch bar, not the 18, bc I wanted lighter and wasnt gonna be doing massive work. I love it. Playing with chainsaws is fun!

Posted on: 11/2 7:02 am

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
I personally love my Husqvarna. I also used to help my dad with his logging business, so I have some experience.

The Huskys cut with speed...they don't have much torque, so you need to keep the chain sharp and the RPMs up....but if you do, it cuts like a hot knife through butter. The Stihls tend to be slower, but have more torque. If you start to back off the throttle while putting some force into it, a Husky will stall but the Stihl will power through.

I prefer the saw to do the work, not me...hence I went with the Husky.

One tip though...what ever you decide to get, DO NOT BUY ONE FROM A BOX STORE (Lowes/Home Depot/etc). Save yourself the wasted money and buy a professional grade saw from a dealer. Even though you'll pay more, over the life of the saw it will be well worth it.

I initially bought a Husqvarna 450 Rancher from Lowes...huge mistake. I actually took it back after 1 weekend of use. I ended up getting a 372XP from a Husqvarna dealer instead...a MUCH better saw even with a smaller engine.

I believe the "easy start" feature that he's talking about is the blue "decompression valve" button that relieves the pressure from the cylinder to make it MUCH easier to start....it's a great feature.

Posted on: 11/2 11:12 am

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
Agree on the dealer comment 100%. Several friends have told me the same thing and I bought mine from a dealer as well.

Posted on: 11/2 1:56 pm

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Grant Ave. Warrior
Another viewpoint, if it helps. Living on a 155 acre farm, I bought a Stihl Farm-boss w/ a 16 inch blade. Gotta tell you, with brush, wild rose, cherry, poplar, white and red oak, etc... some trees with a 30 inch or more diameter, the saw cut and fell the trees at dirt level...and cuts like a dream. It's 15 years old, heavily used, tuned up each year from stem to stern, chains religiously and professionally sharpened, bar oil only, clean mixed fuel,and its strong as heck. Hope it helps...

Posted on: 11/2 3:26 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
...oh, and bought at a dealer. The only way. Build a relationship with the folks. It works when you are in a jam and need something fixed on the spot.

Posted on: 11/2 3:30 pm

From Alkol, Lincoln County
i happen to work at an orange big box store, and i didn't even really consider echo, although there is one called a cs 590 timberwolf, which caught my eye online.

i've been watching youtube videos on cut speeds, can't find one comparing the 251 vs. 271, found some comparing husky vs. stihl. but depends on the bar size. if they compare a 50 cc, 18 inch saw against a 16 or 20 inch bar, it's not a fair test.

Posted on: 11/2 4:10 pm

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
Kevin Spacey's career (for now).

Posted on: 11/3 5:58 am

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

From Alkol, Lincoln County
the atomic clock is correct.. at least until march.

Posted on: 11/5 2:10 am

« 1 ... 2121 2122 2123 (2124)

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved