We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 3 »

"In a civilized society, West Virginia ...shouldn't be part of any "championship" series."
Makin' it Rain
From Cleveland
http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football ... -matchups-oklahoma-oregon

The BCS Standings Foretell A Dark Future For College Football Fans
by Andrew Sharp Oct 18, 2010 4:32 PM EDT

"It's still too early to freak out about the current BCS Standings. In a perfect world, the BCS would hold off on releasing any of these standings until the end of the season. But since we're here and the BCS Standings are out there anyway, we might as well take a peek at what the college football postseason might look like.

Oh, GOD. Have you ever imagined the opposite of a perfect world? Crimson and Cream Machine gives us a taste of the bowl matchups if the BCS standings stay the same:

National Championship Game: Oklahoma vs. Oregon
Rose Bowl: Michigan State vs. Boise State
Sugar Bowl: Auburn vs. Ohio State
Orange Bowl: Florida State vs. LSU
Fiesta Bowl: TCU vs. West Virginia

I know it's early, and lord willing, the country will be spared a Rose Bowl between Michigan State and Boise State, TCU/WVU in the Fiesta, or Oklahoma/Oregon for the title. But even the possibility of all this is kind of infuriating. I mean, in a civilized society, West Virginia and FSU shouldn't be part of any "championship" series.

Anyway, it's all just food for thought. There's a lot of football left to play, so a lot can change. But while we're imagining unlikely scenarios... ESPN's Joe Schad tosses out the first round of a dream playoff:

8 Alabama at 1 Oklahoma
5 TCU at 4 Auburn
6 LSU at 3 Boise State
7 Oregon at 2 Michigan State

Sure, he left out the Big East and ACC, but that's what makes it a dream scenario. Meanwhile, just like every year, we're left to dread a potential BCS nightmare... Remind me why this makes sense?"

Posted on: 10/19/2010 8:34 am

Via Twitter, 10/7/12: Nick Arthur @NarthurD
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: "In a civilized society, West Virginia ...shouldn't be part of any "championship" series."

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
What a douche.

Posted on: 10/19/2010 8:48 am

Re: "In a civilized society, West Virginia ...shouldn't be part of any "championship" series."
Pitt Hater
From Morgantown, WV
He is right...I mean obviously we don't have a good track record in BCS games or anything

Posted on: 10/19/2010 8:51 am

WMITC
From Here
Look around. Does this look like a civilized society?

Posted on: 10/19/2010 8:54 am

Makin' it Rain
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and this guy's really stinks!

Posted on: 10/19/2010 8:56 am

Makin' it Rain
From Raleigh, NC (St. Marys, WV)
I don't have enough time to correct all the people on the internet that are wrong. I'm letting this guy slide.

Posted on: 10/19/2010 9:04 am

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
In a society where strength of competition matters, Boise State should be regulated to that minor bowl game held at their stadium.

Posted on: 10/19/2010 9:11 am

Pitt Hater
From Columbus, OH (via Belpre, OH)
Quote:

GONZOeer wrote:
In a society where strength of competition matters, Boise State should be regulated to that minor bowl game held at their stadium.

I don't think its fair to throw Boise State under the bus. The only difference between them and us right now is that we play in an automatic qualifier conference. They have beaten two pretty good teams in major conferences (I know Va Tech lost to James Madison, who cares). We've beaten Maryland and lost a close one to LSU. They also have a track record of playing well and winning in BCS bowls. As WVU fans, we should be tired of tradional powers getting the benefit of the doubt in the rankings and in bowl selection. I mean, Notre Dame takes a bowl game from our conference every year. I'm rooting for Boise to run the table and crash the championship game because, after watching them play, I think they can play with anybody. Conferences be damned.

Posted on: 10/19/2010 9:32 am

Quote:

Strohs wrote:
Conferences be damned.

I wish.

That's ultimately where the perfect scenario lies. Conference affiliations automatically influence voters, and prevent talent from being spread evenly.

What we need are 8 geographically sensible "divisions" who each send a representative to the playoffs.

Posted on: 10/19/2010 9:44 am

WMITC
From Here
I wouldn't bash Boise, either. Look who we have beaten:

* Maryland, which is going to lose a lot of ACC games.

* UNLV, which couldn't beat Fairmont State.

* Marshall, which could go 1-11.

* Coastal Carolina, which should drop football and stick to marine biology.

* USF, which lost to Syracuse, which was beaten to a "pulp" by Pitt. (Get it? Pulp? Oranges?)

This is not to say we won't win the rest of our games against Syracuse, which lost to Pitt; UConn, which lost to Michigan, Temple and Rutgers; Cincy, which lost to Fresno and NC State; Rutgers, which lost to Tulane and barely beat Army; Pitt, which lost to Notre Dame; and Louisville, which lost to Kentucky.

Face it, friends, this is not an SEC-caliber schedule either.

Don't get me wrong, I think we can win the Big East and get a BCS bowl and maybe kick some unspecting team's ass the way we shocked UGA and Oklahoma.

But if you're going to bash Boise for their schedule, you have to admit that they already have more quality wins than we do (VaTech and Oregon State), they haven't lost to anybody yet and they are averaging 48 points a game.

Posted on: 10/19/2010 9:51 am

Makin' it Rain
From Cleveland

Posted on: 10/19/2010 9:53 am

Party Machine
From Huntsville, Alabama
Sane - I have to agree with you 100%. I realize the BCS selections will be based on the 2010 schedules. But, if we are going to bash Boise State, lets talk about Boise State over the past year. Two years? Three years? It's easy to talk them down because of the conference schedule they play, but, if a team, regardless of name, simply wins against all competition, how can you argue how good or bad they are? What can you gauge them against? You can't. Remember how we felt a few years ago when we had no chance against Georgia? Or Oklahoma? How did these games turn out?

Posted on: 10/19/2010 10:32 am

Pitt Hater
From SW FL
I would imagine a LOT of the big name schools would prefer
not to see West Virginia on their Bowl or 'playoff' schedule...

Posted on: 10/19/2010 10:40 am

WMITC
From Here
I agree. I don't think they want to see Boise there, either.

Posted on: 10/19/2010 10:49 am

Pitt Hater
From Burlington, KY via Webster Springs, WV
Here's his email

andrew@sbnation.com

Posted on: 10/19/2010 10:53 am

Just win baby

WVUGRAD92 < all couch members

Too late, I already sent an email to sbnation's administrators.

Posted on: 10/19/2010 11:05 am

Here for the Beer
Quote:
He is right...I mean obviously we don't have a good track record in BCS games or anything

That just put the biggest smile on my face.

Just...keep.... winning.

And then we'll ALL destroy this guy with a few select words and shut down his inbox!

Posted on: 10/19/2010 11:44 am

Here for the Beer
From Naples, FL
But Boise averages 48 points a game because their staff realizes the need for style points. Especially being in a non-AQ conference.... We can beat them. And I hope we get the chance to in the fiesta or sugar bowl.

Posted on: 10/19/2010 11:53 am

"Only when mosquito lands on balls, do you learn violence only solves MOST problems"

Makin' it Rain
From Cleveland
Quote:

wvugrad92 wrote:
Here's his email

andrew@sbnation.com

Thanks for posting the e-mail link. I just helped clutter up his inbox!

Posted on: 10/19/2010 12:19 pm

From Boone County, WV
What a chode. Looks like he's on about the same writing level as Suck Landon and Bitch Vingle.

Posted on: 10/19/2010 3:28 pm

(1) 2 3 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved