We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 3 »

improving student attendance at games
Noob
I wonder if they could install some kind of scanners that students could swipe their cards against as they LEAVE the stadium, to prove what time they left. If you stay for the whole game, you gain points in the lottery system and are more likely to get tickets the next tie you apply. You leave at halftime more than once per season, you lose points.

I realize it could be abused-- people could carry other people's cards for them-- but it might be a way of discriminating between good attenders and the ones who think leaving at halftime is cool.

Posted on: 10/12/2011 7:30 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: improving student attendance at games
Here for the Beer
From Chloe, in West (By God) Virginia
Stuffing a boot in their collective asses would be a good start, IMHO.

Posted on: 10/12/2011 7:32 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Here
Iam4WVU's avatar providing services?

Posted on: 10/12/2011 7:34 pm

Scientists discover, understand and inform.

Environmentalists preach.

Party Machine
From Morgantown
In my opinion, the best way is to just take away two or three thousand seats from the upper section until they consistently fill up the seats they have remaining. All the students were all bent out of shape during the LSU game because a lot of them didn't get tickets and whined about how students should get more tickets. Well obviously they shouldn't because they rarely fill up the seats they have. I am a senior and have been to every home game the past 4 years, I don't understand why some of these kids don't care about the games more.

Posted on: 10/12/2011 7:38 pm

Here for the Beer
From Morgantown
I'm a student and I'm in favor of giving up some of the tickets, like WVU_88 said... I don't know if anyone else realizes this or not but >5,000 students didn't get a ticket for the LSU game so there are already people complaining, some rightfully so (see Brady Campbell), but most not worth their salt as fans. So my solution would be:

1) Fix the lottery system, real fans get screwed all the time

2) take out some of the seats, make some money and if student attendance really turns around and stays turned around consider giving them back.

3) Keep sections 205/206 for students, I know there are plenty of loyal students in those sections every week regardless of the team. Don't punish the die-hards because the fairweathers keep screwing up

Posted on: 10/12/2011 7:56 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Here
But if you take away 205 you may be communicating a stronger message.

Posted on: 10/12/2011 7:58 pm

Scientists discover, understand and inform.

Environmentalists preach.

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
Anyone can talk about whatever they want so I am not being critical, but I do not understand how this topic keeps coming up and in a new thread now because it has been solved by many many people. The answer is what every school seems to do and what WVU did twice while I attended, reduce student seating to a level commensurate with attendance, which would be about 10K, then sell the rest to the public. This is what will eventually happen, if history is a predictor. Now if the idea is how to improve the present student ticketing system, then that may be a whole different can of worms and perhaps a good explanation of the status quo at the top of the thread.

Posted on: 10/12/2011 8:11 pm

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Pitt Hater
From Washington DC
Go back to the old system where you had to stand in a long line to get a ticket. MAKE THE LINE LONG (i.e. if its a short line for Bowling Green, only have one person at the window handing out tix) Then the people willing to stand in a line will be the ones getting the tix.

If you make the tix harder to get and make people sacrifice something, anything for them, then you'll get the people that will actually show up. It would be kind of stupid for someone to get up early on a Tuesday, waste 2 hours of time, and then not go to the game.

Posted on: 10/12/2011 8:15 pm

Noob
I hate to say this but make the student section smaller. Get rid of the senior spirit section and a section or two on the upper.

Do not give the students assigned sections because all they do is scan an upper ticket photoshop it to make it look like a lower ticket to get a wrist band.

I liked the online ticket claims but it should all be based on priority. Request a ticket first then you get a ticket.

Then how to decide who sits lower and who sits upper. Again priority. Come in early get better seats. If you want to sit lower come in early and get a wristband. When all the wristbands are gone the lower section has been filled. If you prefer sitting upper then decline a wristband on entry and go sit upper.

Spelling errors & typos courtesy of two thumbed typing on my iPhone.

Posted on: 10/12/2011 8:39 pm

Noob
perfect solution- schedule teams worth watching, i know i know i know i know... we play in the big least, its the nature of the beast. we didn't have this problem vs lsu. And please don't compare us to lsu's attendance they dance to a TOTALLY different tango! :)

Posted on: 10/12/2011 9:13 pm

Makin' it Rain
I'm not entirely familiar with how they provide the seating these days, but I think the best course of action would be to take away a section based on poor attendance over the entire season (there will be plenty of no-shows for the Pitt game given that it is on the Friday during Thanksgiving break) and change the ticketing system to first come, first served and check student IDs. Then go from there.

Posted on: 10/12/2011 9:46 pm

Suspected Punter
From Wheeling, WV
It's been a couple of years since i graduated so my exact memory of how the lottery works is fuzzy, but i do remember that there was a registration period, then a claims period, then the last couple of days before the game were a second claims period that you could pick up any remaining tickets pretty much right up until game time. That said, here's what I would do in the short term:

Change the schedule so that the registration/claiming of tickets won in the lottery all finishes by the Monday before the game. At that point, I would put the rest of the seats up for sale to the general public at a discounted rate, somewhere around $30. Yes, this wouldn't fix the problem entirely as some students would register and claim tickets that they wouldn't use, but at least it would diminish the problem and get more butts in the seats. It would have the added bonus of making a select number of tickets more affordable to those who can't afford the normal prices. Or if you prefer rather than selling those tickets (since single game tickets are still available at the regular price) donate them to local youth football teams or charities. It's all about filling the place up when the students let us down.

Posted on: 10/12/2011 9:58 pm

Party Machine
From Morgantown
"jersey alum" you are making me think they should just not allow jersey students tickets. When I was in school I came back early or never went home just to go to the Pitt game.

See folks this is a prime example of the type of students we don't need getting tickets. I can't understand why jersey alum would even proove our point with his post. I was there during the BG game and can tell you every tailgator hitting on drunk freshmen instead of saying "we have to be there in time for the band" had a northern accent.
Prove me wrong and stop being a bunch of pu**ies.

Posted on: 10/12/2011 10:00 pm

Pitt Hater
From Valdosta Georgia
give the students a set time period to get the tickets, after that time, sell the tickets to the public for cheap.

Posted on: 10/12/2011 10:03 pm

Here for the Beer
From Chloe, in West (By God) Virginia
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
Anyone can talk about whatever they want so I am not being critical, but I do not understand how this topic keeps coming up and in a new thread now because it has been solved by many many people. The answer is what every school seems to do and what WVU did twice while I attended, reduce student seating to a level commensurate with attendance, which would be about 10K, then sell the rest to the public. This is what will eventually happen, if history is a predictor. Now if the idea is how to improve the present student ticketing system, then that may be a whole different can of worms and perhaps a good explanation of the status quo at the top of the thread.

That pretty much sums it up...

Posted on: 10/13/2011 4:38 am

Makin' it Rain
Quote:

mountie13 wrote:
"jersey alum" you are making me think they should just not allow jersey students tickets. When I was in school I came back early or never went home just to go to the Pitt game.

Sorry, but I never said that skipped out on games. In fact, back then my friends and I not only attended every home game but we also hit the road to Piscataway, Blacksburg and Happy Valley. My reference to this year's Pitt game was going by two years ago when the Pitt game was during Thanksgiving break and the void that was the student section stuck out like a sore thumb. But I'm sure you were there so I don't need to tell you that.

Quote:

mountie13 wrote:
See folks this is a prime example of the type of students we don't need getting tickets. I can't understand why jersey alum would even proove our point with his post. I was there during the BG game and can tell you every tailgator hitting on drunk freshmen instead of saying "we have to be there in time for the band" had a northern accent.
Prove me wrong and stop being a bunch of pu**ies.

I don't know how well banning tickets to out-of-state students would go over, but feel free to make the recommendation.

And I don't know what you consider to be "North" in terms of Morgantown, but if you look at a map New Jersey isn't exactly "North" in relation to where you are. Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to "Northern" folk - trust me, we're not as bad as you think.

Posted on: 10/13/2011 6:30 am

Pitt Hater
From Columbus, OH (via Belpre, OH)
25 cent beers with a student ID. Problem solved. Most student aren't willing to pay $7 for a beer and, let's face it, on the weekends students want to get their drink on. For cheap. A 3 hour game cuts into party time

Posted on: 10/13/2011 7:14 am

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
Quote:

PB wrote:
Go back to the old system where you had to stand in a long line to get a ticket. MAKE THE LINE LONG (i.e. if its a short line for Bowling Green, only have one person at the window handing out tix) Then the people willing to stand in a line will be the ones getting the tix.

If you make the tix harder to get and make people sacrifice something, anything for them, then you'll get the people that will actually show up. It would be kind of stupid for someone to get up early on a Tuesday, waste 2 hours of time, and then not go to the game.

^This.

Posted on: 10/13/2011 7:15 am

Makin' it Rain
From Fairmont
Here is the problem about selling unused student tickets to the general public...

Who would want to sit with those crazy bas****s anyway?

Posted on: 10/13/2011 4:13 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Fairmont
Here is the problem about selling unused student tickets to the general public...

Who would want to sit with those crazy bas****s anyway?

Posted on: 10/13/2011 4:14 pm

(1) 2 3 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved