We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 3 »

New BE teams?
Party Machine
From Cross Lanes
Just heard on espn radio Chas, that UCF has been invited to join. Has anyone else heard this? It was reported as news not speculation.

Posted on: 10/11/2011 5:06 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: New BE teams?
Gettin' Schmitty
From Just barely outside the Beltway.
I initially saw UCF as University of Charleston. I facepalmed!

Posted on: 10/11/2011 5:08 pm

Party Machine
From Cross Lanes
Sorry for not being clear. UCF is University of Central Florida, definitely not Univ. of Chas. Is it true?

Posted on: 10/11/2011 5:14 pm

WMITC
From Here
This was posted in the Orlando Sentinel today at 4:00.

Seriously. (How funny is that?)

UCF coach George O'Leary suggested the Knights are a strong candidate for the Big East and it may only be a matter of time before the Knights receive an invitation to join the league.

A variety of media outlets have reported UCF could receive a Big East offer as early as Tuesday, but the Knights have yet to receive a formal offer yet.

The Big East is scrambling to replace football-playing members Syracuse, Pittsburgh and TCU.

"I would think that just from looking at numbers, a number count, that we have to be on the lips of a lot of people, obviously," UCF coach George O'Leary said during his weekly press conference, stressing he was more concerned with preparing for Saturday's game at SMU than the latest conference realignment twists and turns. "… I would hope that they strongly consider us. I would think that it would help them as much as it's going to help us."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/

Posted on: 10/11/2011 5:24 pm

Suspected Punter
It sounds like they are going to 12 football schools, which is a good move IMO. Although I still hope we get out and get out quick.

Sounds like 6 of UCF, Air Force, SMU, Houston, Temple, Boise St, ECU, & Navy will end up in the conference.

Not too bad, and honestly if we're not going to be in the SEC or Big12, adding two Texas schools & another Florida school would probably be great for recruiting.

Posted on: 10/11/2011 5:26 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Robertsdale,Al via parkersburg
This list of teams just doesnt do it ...It sure doesnt make the Big East look any better.We need out.

Posted on: 10/11/2011 5:35 pm

Here for the Beer
From Morgantown
the BE will be non-AQ very soon. You can bet the SEC and the rest of the conferences will be pushing for the two team rule to be abolished

Posted on: 10/11/2011 5:45 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Cleveland
There was initially some speculation that this thread was not going to be speculation. Can anyone speculate on this?

Posted on: 10/11/2011 6:18 pm

Via Twitter, 10/7/12: Nick Arthur @NarthurD

Party Machine
From Cross Lanes
I was just trying to authenticate what I heard on the radio. Did anyone else hear the ucf news?

Posted on: 10/11/2011 6:26 pm

Suspected Punter
I haven't seen anything definite, but supposedly no official moves will right away.

Either way it's a foregone conclusion that they will be joining the big east. They make too much sense not to.

Posted on: 10/11/2011 6:48 pm

Suspected Punter
From Reader, WV
If these are the only kind of teams that the Big East is going after than the big east is going to lose there BCS game and WEST VIRGINIA IS GOING TO BE SHIT OUT OF LUCK BECUSE IT LOOKS LIKE NO other conference wants us. Should we go Ind. for Football

Posted on: 10/12/2011 12:51 am

Here for the Beer
From Morgantown
Big easst will be ok if BGU comes into the big east with UCF navy air force temple and others. Will keep AQ status.

Posted on: 10/12/2011 8:34 am

Makin' it Rain
Quote:

rjdenjen25 wrote:
Big easst will be ok if BGU comes into the big east with UCF navy air force temple and others. Will keep AQ status.

Don't know who you mean by BGU (I'm assuming you meant Boise State), but I really don't see how we keep our AQ status by loading up the conference with two of the three academies and a bunch of C-USA teams. Weeks ago Commissioner Marinatto said that the conference would be only be looking to add "BCS-caliber" teams. Are any of those teams BCS-caliber?

Posted on: 10/12/2011 8:51 am

Party Machine
I hope we go to the Big 12 if not the SEC, but I think if we get UCF, SMU, Air Force, Houston, East Carolina, Navy and even Temple, we will be pretty good very quickly.
Remember, schools can get very good in a short period of time with better reqruting. UCF, SMU and Houston could explode. It would give us Texas, Florida,North Carolina, New jersey, West Virginia, Maryland, Kentucky, Connecticut, and Colorado (don't know if I missed someone). That's a pretty good TV market.

Posted on: 10/12/2011 9:10 am

Party Machine
Oh, I forgot Pennsylvania--Temple gives us the Philly market and they are much better than they used to be.

Posted on: 10/12/2011 9:21 am

Makin' it Rain
From N. Canton, Ohio
I would rather opt out of the conference but if we can't do that it's our only option and I do believe the BE would keep their AQ or given an extention of about four years to prove themselves worthy. The reason being is WVU (two BCS wins) Boise (two BCS wins). The Service Academies are media darlings, they are always the underdog and honestly AF and Navy can beat compete with anyone on any given Saturday. UCF has shown flashes of being competitive and quite honestly they are better than SU and as good as Pitt if not better. SMU is in a large market and they beat TCU, they are getting better and they also can beat a good BCS team on any given Saturday. If this is the only scenario, I'll take it but it will be imperative that BSU & WVU hang around the top 10 and win BCS games.

Posted on: 10/12/2011 9:21 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Mobile, AL
The harsest thing to change is your repuatation and widespread national image. Although Pitt and fuse have sucked, they still have a better image than any of these teams mentioned. Don't get me wrong, smu,ucf, and Houston, sate all better than Pitt and cuse, but which one gains more attention as a win or a loss nationally. Which ones would be upsets and which teams are you expected to win against year in and out. Although I think these teams to be atleast a horizontal move, public perception is a downgrade.
And for those of you who don't like there teams who else you gonna grab? No one from the sec, Acc, big ten etc...is going to move to the lowly big east. So who else is there? These are the best options.

Posted on: 10/12/2011 9:22 am

Party Machine
From Morgantown
BSU = BCS caliber team for sure, they have proved it over the years

Houston,ECU,UCF - has every oppotunity except being in an AQ conference to flourish, they have fertile recruiting grounds and the money

Navy,Air Force - excellent following, would also benefit from the exposure as would our military and country. These two schools alone would almost guarantee your AQ status because they will not remove an AQ status from a conference they are in together. That is a huge political mess.

Posted on: 10/12/2011 9:23 am
I am the bone of my sword, circuits my body and code my blood. I have crafted over a 1000 programs. Unaware of bugs not aware of success withstood pain to create apps, waiting for ones arrival I have no regrets this is the only path my whole life was UNLI

Noob
From Apex, NC
UNC Charlotte needs a home

http://www.charlotte49erfootball.com/

Posted on: 10/12/2011 9:54 am

Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
Quote:

HeyMorty wrote:
UNC Charlotte needs a home

http://www.charlotte49erfootball.com/

Holy anemic offense Batman! Jeff Mullen has no place in even a weakened Big East.

Posted on: 10/12/2011 10:13 am

(1) 2 3 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved