We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards


 
Facebook Password probe starts today.
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
7/20/2008 1:23 pm
From Just barely outside the Beltway.
Posts: 7577
So...here is one area I think government regulation is a positive thing.

Companies (both public and private) demanding Facebook log on information as a precondition of employment.

To me this is akin to demanding the keys to your house and car and searching them.

What say you, couch?


http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/ ... ?c_id=5&objectid=10794878

Posted on: 3/27/2012 10:31 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Facebook Password probe starts today.
Pitt Hater
Joined:
2/3/2011 11:14 am
From Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1752
Quote:

zwaaa wrote:
So...here is one area I think government regulation is a positive thing.

Companies (both public and private) demanding Facebook log on information as a precondition of employment.

To me this is akin to demanding the keys to your house and car and searching them.

What say you, couch?


http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/ ... ?c_id=5&objectid=10794878


I agree. It would be like them asking to sit in on a conversation with you and your friends or something.

Posted on: 3/27/2012 10:43 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Facebook Password probe starts today.
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
9/15/2006 8:24 am
From Monrovia MD
Posts: 7710
AAAARRRGGGHHH!! I've been probed!

Posted on: 3/27/2012 10:47 am
_________________
Wrestling! Hard? It's supposed to be hard. It's the hard that makes it GREAT!
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Facebook Password probe starts today.
Makin' it Rain
Joined:
9/14/2007 5:46 am
From NJ
Posts: 2794
Next thing you know, they'll want our WMITC logon info.

Posted on: 3/27/2012 10:48 am
_________________
Go Mountaineers!!

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Facebook Password probe starts today.
WMITC
Joined:
1/6/2008 1:03 pm
From Here
Posts: 23544
I think two things:

1. No one should be entitled to that information unless I want them to have it.

2. Anybody who puts stuff on Facebook that they wouldn't want to see on the news deserves what they get. It's all about personal accountability, a lost concept in today's social media society.

Posted on: 3/27/2012 10:48 am
_________________
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half the people are even stupider than that." -- George Carlin
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Facebook Password probe starts today.
Webmaster
Joined:
2/11/2012 10:32 pm
From Seattle
Posts: 6752
I'm just glad I'm in a position where I don't need a job bad enough where I would have to give into such a ridiculously invasive request. I would never work for a company that did this.

The earlier version would be demanding you give them your diary.

Posted on: 3/27/2012 10:59 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Facebook Password probe starts today.

Joined:
12/7/2009 7:07 pm
From Charlottesville, Virginia
Posts: 12958
I have seen several blogs from employment lawyers who represent employers that have expressed the opinion that it is actually dangerous for an employer to get this information. For instance, what if an employer finds out that an employee has a disability through the employee's FB page? This may raise the issue of whether a subsequent adverse action against the employee was due to the disability in violation of the ADA. I think they should be careful what they ask for.

Posted on: 3/27/2012 11:25 am
_________________
Open in new window
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Facebook Password probe starts today.
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
1/25/2006 8:25 pm
From ohio via Panther WV
Posts: 9518
My hands off Feds approach is don't take the job. Or I'm deleting my facebook account. I would never work there and think it's wrong. But if it's a new policy at a place I currently work I would have a problem with it. I don't know what I think. 21 year old me would tell my boss to go ef him/herself and walkout, 36 year old me would hand over my info but not before I changed my password to gofuckyourself. I believe your getting into some civil liberty type stuff there but I've worked at places that told me I couldn't hang out in certain places with certain people before too. Don't know if that was legal but I needed the job.

Posted on: 3/27/2012 3:16 pm
_________________
Open in new window

I-79 Alumni
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Facebook Password probe starts today.
WMITC
Joined:
8/28/2006 11:40 am
From Parkersburg, WV
Posts: 8834
If I don't have a Facebook account, do I have to create one and then hand over the info? F*** all that noise. I would insist on a full mutual cavity search by the person interviewing me before I gave em the password. You want my info, you better really want it.

Posted on: 3/27/2012 6:18 pm
_________________
Open in new window

Eat Shit Pitt
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Facebook Password probe starts today.
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
7/20/2008 1:23 pm
From Just barely outside the Beltway.
Posts: 7577
Quote:

southwvboy wrote:
My hands off Feds approach is don't take the job. Or I'm deleting my facebook account. I would never work there and think it's wrong. But if it's a new policy at a place I currently work I would have a problem with it. I don't know what I think. 21 year old me would tell my boss to go ef him/herself and walkout, 36 year old me would hand over my info but not before I changed my password to gofuckyourself. I believe your getting into some civil liberty type stuff there but I've worked at places that told me I couldn't hang out in certain places with certain people before too. Don't know if that was legal but I needed the job.


I really respect that. And I agree with your thoughts.

Posted on: 3/27/2012 6:54 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Facebook Password probe starts today.
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
7/20/2008 1:23 pm
From Just barely outside the Beltway.
Posts: 7577
My solution is to use a pseudonym

Posted on: 3/27/2012 7:04 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Facebook Password probe starts today.
WMITC
Joined:
8/28/2006 11:40 am
From Parkersburg, WV
Posts: 8834
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. F*** da police. Figuratively, and in this case da police being the prospective employer. The man. This may not be realistic, but f*** em anyway.

Posted on: 3/27/2012 7:16 pm
_________________
Open in new window

Eat Shit Pitt
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Facebook Password probe starts today.
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
7/20/2008 1:23 pm
From Just barely outside the Beltway.
Posts: 7577
I point out that "metaphorically sodomize da' prospective employer" doesn't have the same swagger.

Posted on: 3/27/2012 7:45 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Facebook Password probe starts today.
WMITC
Joined:
8/28/2006 11:40 am
From Parkersburg, WV
Posts: 8834
Quote:

zwaaa wrote:
I point out that "metaphorically sodomize da' prospective employer" doesn't have the same swagger.


This could be its own thread like the guess the song deal.

Clue: Metaphorically sodomize not us should they be unable to appreciate a specific instance of humorous jibe aimed in their general direction.

Posted on: 3/27/2012 7:54 pm
_________________
Open in new window

Eat Shit Pitt
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Facebook Password probe starts today.
WMITC
Joined:
8/28/2006 11:40 am
From Parkersburg, WV
Posts: 8834
Quote:

zwaaa wrote:
I point out that "metaphorically sodomize da' prospective employer" doesn't have the same swagger.


This could be its own thread like the guess the song deal.

Clue: Metaphorically sodomize not us should they be unable to appreciate a specific instance of humorous jibe aimed in their general direction.

Posted on: 3/27/2012 7:54 pm
_________________
Open in new window

Eat Shit Pitt
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Facebook Password probe starts today.
WMITC
Joined:
1/6/2008 1:03 pm
From Here
Posts: 23544
My Facebook password is donchawishyouhadthisbeforeIretired.

Posted on: 3/27/2012 8:22 pm
_________________
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half the people are even stupider than that." -- George Carlin
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 







Login
Username:

Password:

remember me





Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved