We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 »

Rumblings of breakaway from NCAA
Pitt Hater
From columbia,sc
http://www.pressconnects.com/article/ ... talk-about-NCAA-breakaway

There has been increased talk this off season from the big conferences about either somehow splitting from the other conferences or breaking away from the NCAA entirely and forming their own association.

Previously, it was just talk among fans, but now, the big guns in the conferences are talking.

The AAC, Big East, or whatever you want to call them has been left out of any such talk. Right now, that would be a 62 team association, unless somehow Notre Dame and BYU get in on the action.

I have heard more than one sports commentator state that this will be a reality within the next 5 years. I am not sure what credence to put in all this, but II do know that NCAA members are getting really tied of the stupidity of the NCAA. Also, there is increased speculation of awarding players a small stipend if they do form their own association.

This makes me really glad we got into one of the major conferences and out of the sinking ship.

Posted on: 7/24/2013 9:13 am

Re: Rumblings of breakaway from NCAA
Party Machine
From Northern WV
I would welcome this, especially with the new contact rules coming into play. The NCAA is getting ridiculous.

Posted on: 7/24/2013 10:04 am

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Top 64 programs. Eight team playoff. Eight-team conferences broken into regions.

Posted on: 7/24/2013 10:04 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Party Machine
From Northern WV
The more I think about it, this would be awesome. A new set of rules entirely decided by the schools in the conferences. Could get very interesting.

Posted on: 7/24/2013 10:07 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Monrovia MD
This is what Ollie predicted.

In Luck we trust!

Posted on: 7/24/2013 10:22 am

Pitt Hater
From Killadelphia
I would laugh my ass off if Notre Dame can't join because of the whole independent thing. I'm sure they would try to make an exception to get a big name like them in but it would be hilarious if their contract with NBC kept them from joining or something.

Posted on: 7/24/2013 12:00 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
They would come in on the coattails of the ACC

Posted on: 7/24/2013 1:13 pm

From Alkol, Lincoln County
personally i like the 128 team group(app state is moving up). 8 'conferences' of 16 teams, each conference/region has two divisions or sections. basically creating 16 playoff teams, because each conference would have a championship game--creating 8 official conference champions/playoff members. then, have 4 playoff games BEFORE bowls with games between december 1-21). after that, have the 'football final 4'(as rotating bowls, such as the rose, orange or cotton). the championship game would be that week. start the season a week earlier. have 1 off week.

i know that was off topic, but i don't like the idea of them splitting off. i think bad things will happen.. the teams will be looser regulated, causing more good recruits to go to the usual powerhouses.

i think the way to solve this is have a deal that each player on the video games gets paid a very small percentage of every unit sold, maybe %.1. these kids are already getting paid with a free tution and education, along with a lot of under the table stuff i'm sure.

Posted on: 7/24/2013 2:23 pm

Here for the Beer
From Bunker Hill
This would also help the budgets for the athletic departments. The way NCAA shares revenue is silly. The big programs make a huge investment to see revenue be sent to smaller D-1 programs that don’t make the investments. I would also guess that BB would addopt the same plan.

Posted on: 7/24/2013 2:29 pm

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
I see a lot of potential for abuse with a breakaway from the NCAA. The NCAA football oversight and rule book is pretty ridiculous in may ways, but is also vital in many ways. I would rather see the NCAA overhaul itself than a fractured deal. Should be interesting.

Posted on: 7/24/2013 3:07 pm

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Pitt Hater
From Charleston, WV
Quote:

Polarbear wrote:
This would also help the budgets for the athletic departments. The way NCAA shares revenue is silly. The big programs make a huge investment to see revenue be sent to smaller D-1 programs that don’t make the investments. I would also guess that BB would addopt the same plan.

This is why it will happen. Follow the money. The big schools are tired of carrying North Texas, Louisiana Monroe, Troy, etc. water.

Posted on: 7/24/2013 3:55 pm
Forget what you learned in elementary school. The only ”participation trophy” you’re awarded from life is death. That’s the one thing we all get just for showing up. In the meantime, if you want something better, you have to earn it. - Matt Walsh

From Charlottesville, Virginia
The bigger schools could also just use the threat of breaking away in order to get the NCAA to make some changes.

Posted on: 7/24/2013 4:01 pm

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
Quote:

Eers88 wrote:
The bigger schools could also just use the threat of breaking away in order to get the NCAA to make some changes.

This was my hope.

Posted on: 7/24/2013 5:08 pm

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Pitt Hater
From Chokie Burg
Quote:

MountyInSC wrote:
They would come in on the coattails of the ACC
Winner winner chicken dinner,

Besides I would want ND to be part of it if it happens. That way I don't have to listen to ND fans complain that because they went undefeated in lower league that they should be NC.

You know it would happen!

Posted on: 7/24/2013 7:09 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Monrovia MD
Slightly off subject but I had a ND fan on my faculty complain about the refereeing in the NC game last year. I told him ND couldn't beat Bama with 8 ND grads wearing the striped shirts but that's how delusional they are.

Posted on: 7/25/2013 8:21 am

Re: Rumblings of breakaway from NCAA - not really but...
Makin' it Rain
From Tampa, FL via Elkview, WV
Insightful article on the potential change in the NCAA.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/coll ... or-more-change/index.html

Posted on: 7/29/2013 4:40 pm

Pitt Hater
From Burlington, KY via Webster Springs, WV
I think this is leading to paying the players and the teams with the most money wins. I think WVU would NOT benefit from leaving the NCAA. NCAA has rules that control the number of scholarships. This controls teams from getting too many great players and everyone else gets the scraps.

Posted on: 7/29/2013 9:31 pm

Just win baby

WVUGRAD92 < all couch members

Pitt Hater
From columbia,sc
Quote:

wvugrad92 wrote:
I think this is leading to paying the players and the teams with the most money wins. I think WVU would NOT benefit from leaving the NCAA. NCAA has rules that control the number of scholarships. This controls teams from getting too many great players and everyone else gets the scraps.

The proposals as far as paying the player is that it would be a set amount per game. That amount would be a small stipend like maybe $300 per game or something like that. It would be the same set amount for all players on all teams in the association.

Any new association formed would have rules as far as scholarships as well.

This should mean that WVU should not be left at any more of a disadvantage than we already are.

Personally, I see a breakaway from the NCAA and the subsequent formation of a new association as a moot point in itself. What I am looking at is the fact that, being in the BIGXII, we are poised to be in a position where we will be among those on the inside, instead of being among those on the outside looking in.

Whatever happens, will happen. Might as well be in as favorable of circumstances as possible.

Posted on: 7/29/2013 9:47 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From A town called Fresh Off A Cop's Ass
Paying players is fair, but paying players might just ruin college football. Do we then pay bball players? Of course we do, and we all know how stupid that is going to get. Pay them and then watch the system collapse. You have been warned...

Posted on: 7/29/2013 10:13 pm

Makin' it Rain
From West By God
A split needs to happen, and i think it will happen sooner rather than later, it seems like the Big 5 AD's and commishs are all on the same page.

Lucks comments from this past weekend

"There is a lot of discontent among the big schools with the NCAA for a whole variety of reasons," Luck said. "The governing structure of the NCAA is byzantine. It's completely outdated. There are 200-and-some committees and nothing ever gets accomplished."

Much of that discontentment Luck speaks of comes from what he calls the "Big 5" conferences and their vision for how student-athletes should be treated. When comparing a program like the University of Texas, which brings in $160 million per year, to another in a mid-major conference, there is no way to use the same rules for each.

"I do think, though, that these Big 5 schools are looking for their own classification – ‘Super I-A' or whatever you want to call it – where we can do things a little bit differently," Luck said. "In a sense, set our own rules, but change the rules to where they affect us in a different way than perhaps they're affecting the Mid-American Conference or the Sun Belt Conference."

Luck says schools are looking for ways to better compensate their student-athletes, citing current scholarship provisions that are no longer viable in the business of college sports, namely football and men's basketball.

"A lot of the bigger schools want to do more for the student-athletes. They'd like to provide a little bit of a stipend, they'd like to provide more than just one meal a day to these kids," said Luck. "Long story short, there's a growing consensus, at least among the Big 5 schools that do have the resources now, that we should provide more for the student-athletes and not just in terms of dollars and cents, but a better educational experience with perhaps more academic support, as well."

Posted on: 7/30/2013 7:15 am

(1) 2 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved