We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 3 »

WV Teacher Strike
Gettin' Schmitty
From durham, nc
Anyone have an opinion? My niece teaches in the Beckley area. She went Charleston last week. Sometimes you have to fight the man with whatever leverage you have I guess.

Link

Posted on: 2/25 12:09 pm

I don't stand by anything. ~Donald J. Trump
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: WV Teacher Strike
Pitt Hater
From Parkersburg,WV
Quote:

eer_4da_beer wrote:
Anyone have an opinion? My niece teaches in the Beckley area. She went Charleston last week. Sometimes you have to fight the man with whatever leverage you have I guess.

Link

Well, the monthly premium for an individual on PEIA is increasing to right around $147 which comes to $1764.00 a year. That's just a tad under 4.00% of their annual income. My monthly premium is $1203 dollars or $14,436. That number is 6.56% of my annual income.

I'm not saying teachers shouldn't make more money but, their premiums are inline with everyone else's.

Posted on: 2/26 5:52 am

Here for the Beer
From Fairmont WV
I hope the teachers get what they want and we can move on. They didn't go into the profession to get rich, but when you don't get a raise for years and they increase your insurance premiums you can't keep up with inflation. It's no wonder there are over 700 job openings in WV for public school teachers. There is no incentive for teachers to stay in the state or move to the state to teach.
If we keep going down this rabbit hole we are going to end up with unqualified educators teaching our children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, etc. Nothing good will come from this.
They have my support because without their positive influence they provided me when I was in school I wouldn't be where I am today.

Posted on: 2/26 9:19 am

Makin' it Rain
From North Central, WV
I look at this issue on a few different levels.

1)This is the ACA finally coming to fruition for our public employees. The mandates in the ACA have driven healthcare costs to a new level. In a lot of ways the teachers are on the front lines. The very invasive policies that were being implemented in PEIA INS could very easily creep into all our health care policies. I am speaking of premiums based on income level, and programs such as Healthy Solutions becoming mandatory. Whatever happened to our right to privacy? Since when does a health insurance provider have a right to go through someone's tax filings?

2) Jim Justice, and our Republican majority house of delegates allowed this to happen. I say they allowed this to happen, because this problem didn't cropped up overnight. It didn't cropped up over the past couple years either. Our representatives should have started working on this when the ACA was passed. There was an issue with PEIA just a few years back, and it was just bandaged over at that time.

Justice came in with his broad brush stroke budget cuts, accompanied with the in state Republican partisan politics, and now here we are. They pissed around and fought back and forth about who's was bigger, and issues like PEIA Ins were lost in the mix. Makes me wonder what else they have let go, or screwed up.

Now the way they are handling (not handling) the problem has turned into quite the spectacle. I find it very disrespectful how the House of Delegates has continued to table this discussion, to keep it out of the public eye. Makes me wonder what they have to hide.

My stepson and I went out and stood in support of the teachers the first day they demonstrated here in Lewis county. He got his first taste of activism, and earned it too. It was seven degrees that day.

Posted on: 2/26 9:20 am

Pitt Hater
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:
Quote:

eer_4da_beer wrote:

Link

Well, the monthly premium for an individual on PEIA is increasing to right around $147 which comes to $1764.00 a year. That's just a tad under 4.00% of their annual income. My monthly premium is $1203 dollars or $14,436. That number is 6.56% of my annual income.

I'm not saying teachers shouldn't make more money but, their premiums are inline with everyone else's.

That is anecdotal, don't you think? You cannot take two examples and say that they are in-line with the rest of the nation.
How about premiums of 14% of ones income, like mine. And trust me I don't have a Cadillac plan, mine doesn't even cover eye or dental.

Posted on: 2/26 12:50 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Just barely outside the Beltway.
I left WV in the 90s because PEIA was horrible even back then. They refused to pay bills on medical expenses incurred by their members for simple doctor visits causing many of us issues with our medical providers. The theory was that they wanted to wait until after the close of the fiscal year to make things look better on paper, but who knows. Still, horrible management.

This is nothing new and it has nothing to do with the ACA. I teach in the DC area and things are fine with my health care because (and I can't stress this enough)...it is competently managed.

My yearly deduction is less than 1200 (reasonable considering the salary teachers make in this area - in line with what a school administrator makes in WV) and my healthcare is top notch!, providing me a wide network with open borders, good dental, and good optical.

PEIA IS the main reason I left the state.

Posted on: 2/27 2:50 pm

Makin' it Rain
From North Central, WV
ACA has nothing to do with it huh?

W.Va. leaders warn of impact of ACA tax
http://www.weirtondailytimes.com/news ... arn-of-impact-of-aca-tax/

Quote:
Will cost PEIA and its Medicare retirees $360 per year per person or over $20 million per year

Add that to the slash and burn budget cut approach that Justice came in with, and it’s obvious why PEIA was left scrambling to find necessary funds to run their program. The state that PEIA was already in, coupled with these other two factors created a perfect storm so to speak.

Posted on: 2/28 2:59 pm

Here for the Beer
From Fairmont WV
And the march continues.........
Perhaps the House has met their match.

Posted on: 3/1 9:02 am

Makin' it Rain
From North Central, WV
Doesn’t say much for their union representation either. They were more than willing to deal on a marginal raise, without any real plan to fix benefits. Hey at least their union dues would increase with a pay raise.

Posted on: 3/1 1:37 pm

Pitt Hater
From Parkersburg,WV
Quote:

zwaaa wrote:
I left WV in the 90s because PEIA was horrible even back then. They refused to pay bills on medical expenses incurred by their members for simple doctor visits causing many of us issues with our medical providers. The theory was that they wanted to wait until after the close of the fiscal year to make things look better on paper, but who knows. Still, horrible management.

This is nothing new and it has nothing to do with the ACA. I teach in the DC area and things are fine with my health care because (and I can't stress this enough)...it is competently managed.

My yearly deduction is less than 1200 (reasonable considering the salary teachers make in this area - in line with what a school administrator makes in WV) and my healthcare is top notch!, providing me a wide network with open borders, good dental, and good optical.

PEIA IS the main reason I left the state.

Shouldn't you be telling these snowflakes that they just made bad decisions and to stop with the sob stories?

Posted on: 3/2 11:24 am

Pitt Hater
From Parkersburg,WV
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:
Quote:

eer_4da_beer wrote:

Link

That is anecdotal, don't you think? You cannot take two examples and say that they are in-line with the rest of the nation.
How about premiums of 14% of ones income, like mine. And trust me I don't have a Cadillac plan, mine doesn't even cover eye or dental.

No, I believe the perspective is relevant and important. Again, I believe teachers are underpaid but I have little sympathy for them when it comes to insurance. Especially when their plan costs 1/3 of mine and has better coverage.

Posted on: 3/2 11:29 am

Pitt Hater
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:
Quote:

eer_4da_beer wrote:

Link

No, I believe the perspective is relevant and important. Again, I believe teachers are underpaid but I have little sympathy for them when it comes to insurance. Especially when their plan costs 1/3 of mine and has better coverage.

Okay - so we disagree. Now tell me where in Parkersburg do you work making $220K per year.

Posted on: 3/2 12:39 pm

Makin' it Rain
From North Central, WV
Didn’t think I should make a new thread over this. Besides Ojeda is championing the cause for teachers in the state senate. He is running to fill Evan Jenkins congressional seat in the House. Now here is a Democrat that I can really get behind. I would be proud to have him represent our state.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/stor ... -army-one-217217?cmpid=sf

Posted on: 3/2 5:10 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
Quote:

EERY wrote:
Didn’t think I should make a new thread over this. Besides Ojeda is championing the cause for teachers in the state senate. He is running to fill Evan Jenkins congressional seat in the House. Now here is a Democrat that I can really get behind. I would be proud to have him represent our state.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/stor ... -army-one-217217?cmpid=sf

Thanks for posting, this guy seems pretty awesome.

Posted on: 3/2 7:40 pm

Makin' it Rain
From North Central, WV
Unfortunately he will not show up on my area’s ballot. Though I will be spreading the word about him. We need good people no matter the party affiliation.

Posted on: 3/2 7:54 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Monrovia MD
So why didn't the Senate go along with the Governor and the House. Just a disinterested Maryland teacher who made $107K last year before I add in the coaching.

Posted on: 3/3 12:25 am

Gettin' Schmitty
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:
Quote:

eer_4da_beer wrote:

Link

Stop whining about your insurance, showflake.

Posted on: 3/3 7:48 am

Pitt Hater
From Parkersburg,WV
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:
Quote:

eer_4da_beer wrote:

Link

Okay - so we disagree. Now tell me where in Parkersburg do you work making $220K per year.

It's total household income. Mine and my wife's. That is what our insurance is based on, just like PEIA.

Posted on: 3/3 10:44 am

Pitt Hater
From Parkersburg,WV
Quote:

zwaaa wrote:
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:
Quote:

eer_4da_beer wrote:

Link

Nope. And just like the teachers, I will continue to do so until it is fixed.

Posted on: 3/3 10:45 am

Gettin' Schmitty
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:
Quote:

zwaaa wrote:
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:
Quote:

eer_4da_beer wrote:

Link

Nope. And just like the teachers, I will continue to do so until it is fixed.

So, you call them snowflakes, yet admit that you are just like them. Ok then.

Posted on: 3/3 8:18 pm

(1) 2 3 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved